NAT error

Discussion in 'General Software' started by roy92, Dec 27, 2006.

1. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

hi

i keep gettin nat errors in azureus. ive opend port 51234 as instructed by portforwarding.com. but i stil get it.

any suggestions would be great

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

Check here - https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 while Azureus is running, to see whether your port is truly opened.

Once you have loaded the web page, click on 'proceed', enter the port number in the empty field and click on the 'User Specified Custom Port Probe' button.

If the report does not say 'open', then your post isn't! Back to the drawing board. Is the port 'forwarded by request' or 'always'?

Just to let you know that I also run into problems from time to time. Restarting Azureus, normally solves the problem. For me anyway...

3. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

wat if it says stealth?

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

It means that the port is definitly not forwarded.
    Are you using a software wall or a hardware of sort, i.e. router or a PC?

5. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

yeah.. sorry ... forgot to put that.

ok, ive got a dlink DI-524 wireless router and the windows firewall. is tehre a way to disable nat, or the firewall? coz im getting medium speeds (max around 33kb/s but averages around 15 and my connection is a 512k adsl)

ps. ive said this before, but i did exactly wat they said to do in portforwarding.com, how come its not working?

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Right.... before you start delving into the router's settings, can you just confirm whether you are using a software wall as well?

Where/how did you forward the port?
    Via the router's rules or the software rules?

7. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

no software

in the dlink settings, i went into virtual server entered teh ports. so it must be the routers rules, i also did it in sp2 firewall jst in case.

hope this helps

8. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Aha! First you need to decide which one you want to use! You either embrace M$-XP, build in, software firewall or the one build in to your router.

My suggestion is to disable the SP2 firewall. It is my understanding that it is not 'all that' anyway.

Once you have done that, try again.
    I am not using D-Link so cannot comment on how to do port forwarding.

This is how I do it in Netgear (once logged in to the 'virtual server'):
    1. Create a new service - chose TCP/UDP or both, then entre your port (start and end port are the same if you are using just one port.).
    2. Add an inbound service - chose the newly added service created in the previous step. Then I chose 'Allow by request, otherwise block' and send to a new LAN IP address (something like 192.168.0.X).

And that's that.

As I said before, I have stopped using 'softwalls' since I got my router.
    When I do get a NAT error, which hardly ever happen (a bit tlike huricaines in Hereford), I normaly restart the application and it seems to work....

9. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

ok, so right now I've got port 6112 open for udp and tcp but I've got two spaces labelled private and public, do I put 6112 into those 2 spaces?

10. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I had a very quick read through your manual so this is definitely not an expert advice!!!

I think you will need to put the port number in both fields to properly open the desired port.

11. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

thanks so much for your replies! but i've done that and it still shows that yellow smiley face.

12. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I will be frank with you, I always found Azureus a tad troublesome and always ended up using Ktorrent (KDE client). I am not sure the yellow smiley means your port is not open. At the bottom of the screen you have the three lights: Ratio, NAT and 'users connected'. What is the status of those lights. Also, have you tried other torrents? And what does the tracker status say?

13. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

can you test your port using canyouseeme.org, open azureus first.

14. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

the ratio is yellow, the nat is grey and teh user is green

no i havent used any others

and in canyouseeme.org, it couldnt find the service

15. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

regardless of any problems you might have - ratio, unless you are very generous with your bandwidth, will usualy be yellow or red. NAT is bad if it goes red or yellow. It should be green but can sometimes stay grey for quite a while.

By the way, now that you have disabled the SP2 firewall and, hopefully, forwarded the port, what report do you get from Home of Gibson Research Corporation for this port, when Azureus is running?

16. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

i missed something...firewall is red

17. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

just to make something clear, i've got 512kbs download speed, how fast should i expect 1 download to go?

18. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

I would maybe switch to Utorrent (µTorrent - Powerful BitTorrent Client) I have both but i tend to use utorrent more, it loads much faster. My router was being POS so instead of doing port forwarding i just enabled UPnP. This fixed my NAT problems and I now get 150kb/s. Hope this helps

19. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

umm.... can u help me setup utorrent? wat is your connection speed?