need help with figuring out bench mark results .....

Discussion in 'Benchmarking' started by mm22005, May 30, 2006.

1. mm22005

mm22005 Geek Trainee

I did some benchmark tests and I got back some things I dont understand very well...... and they say (sisiandra) to fix them.

My computer first off is a AMD 4800 64x2 dual-core
    processor chip. Memory is 2 gigs corsair.

First off it says something about APIC?

It says no APIC found? "all modern mp systems should contain an APIC"?
    What is APIC? And how do I fix that? Says check bios settings but not sure.

Also it came up with this below

"The benchmark has tested the primary cpu only" says "You need to turn on multiprocessor option" it says "use windows xp and turn on the multiprocessor kernal"?
    what the hell does that mean lol ........

Also says for the chipset I am using that I should use the maximum power for the chip in the bios or something?

ALSO what is the best benchmark program to use is SISIANDRIA THE BEST OR NO? I ALSO USE PCPITSTOP TOO..... And if I did want to overclock my cpu how do i do it? I do have the zalman heatsink on top of my chip ..Is there step by step guide to do this (overclock) or no?

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

The multi-processor option is there because you've got a dual core CPU, you've got 2 processing cores on one CPU and if only the first one is set to be tested the second one will sit there 'twiddling it's thumbs' so turn that option on and things should pick up as both cores will be working.
    As for overclocking, take a look here it has links to the threads that cover the subject.
    APIC: Not a term I'm familiar with, but found a definition through google.
    Hope it helps a bit. :good:

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Sandra and Everest are most commonly accepted as overall synthetic system testing. I don't think any sites use PCPitstop. Not to say it's bad, simply, it's not used for whatever reason.

Clibench, HDtach, and games like Half-Life 2, Quake 4/Doom3, FEAR, and more recently, Oblivion, are commonly used. Intel's IOmeter is another good benchmark for disk testing, as it uses realistic loads. The main point is that synthetic benchmarks are okay, but ones based on actual usage are better because they give results that are true to life. 3DMark may support certain features current games do not, but you will not find any game based off the 3DMark engine. I'd give a lot more creedence to Doom 3 saying you get 15fps than a 3DMark 06 score saying you have 10,000 or 10 points. Also, Futuremark has been a dick, so I do have some resentment of them. We do not use 3DMark in our testing anymore.