Need Help With My Iifreecom 40gb Harddrive? Not Being Recognised In Windows.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by stephaniewhite, Nov 24, 2014.

1. stephaniewhite

stephaniewhite Geek Trainee

Hello all,

I am new to this and this is my first thread so please bear with me if this is in the wrong place or i'm not making much sense lol.

I have a IIFreecom Classic Mobile HD 2.5" 40GB harddrive manufactured in 2006.
    My issue is the following;

It did work, at one point as i remember putting photos on there a few years back. I found the drive out a few days ago and thought i would have a look to see what was on there and use it for backing up certain important files. I plugged it into my laptop using the supplied USB cable. A green light shows on the harddrive but that is it. it isn't recognised in windows and the laptop doesn't acknowledge that anything has been plugged in. There is a space for another cable labled DC5V. I'm guessing this is for a wall charger? I do not have this plugged in at the moment as i don't know where it is. Is this something that is needed for the drive to work? Also next to the green light on the drive, there is a red light which is not on. should this be on?

There is no sound coming from the drive (I'm not sure if there should be but have been told you should hear the drive spinning)

Any help would be much appreciated as you can probably tell I'm not very good at solving problems with hardware. Thank you all in advance.

Stephanie

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Most probably that connector is for USB power. Because USB port only gives 2.5W, that another cable gives another 2.5W total 5W.

You probably need something like that

http://satfooldeals.co.uk/programmers/110-5v-dc-power-cable-usb-male-to-55mm-barrel-connector-.html

3. stephaniewhite

stephaniewhite Geek Trainee

Wicked mystic - thanks for taking the time to reply. Looking at the link this is probably exactly what I need. Thanks so much.

I will purchase this and update to see whether it has worked or not. Thanks again.