Need MS Word or similar

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Exfoliate, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

hmm, i am so used to office aswell, i dont think it would be a god decision for me actually if i started using openoffice and ditched microsoft office, becouse i do it intermediate at college, and we use microsoft office all the time, so we are learning about microsoft office all the time, even tho msot of the stuf fi am taught i allready know, so i dont think open office is good for me :\, i might give it a try.

i suppsoe i am a little afraid of change, as i was oging to try linux, but never got round to it *afraid of change*, i might ask college if they can install openoffice on there systems :p

2. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

Wanadoo offer 8MB for £15.99 a month! well, im sure it said that on the advert.

3. Addis

Addis The King

OpenOffice cannot be a bad thing for you to start using. Attitudes of "I'll just stick with Windows and Office" are exactly what MS want. Seriously what bad could using OO do? You learn something new, and see alternative ways of office productivity than just MS. We all use Windows and Office at school, that doesn't stop me form carrying around a Linux Live disc just incase networks down. And I really like the export to PDF feature in Writer.

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

This is a very, very important line on the Wanadoo site.
    You should pay attention to it.

My service is - "upto" 2MB. But my line cannot physicaly give me more that 1.1MB.
    And this is a fact!
    Now before you rush to decide, please read the fine print properly.

I am not saying Wanadoo are lying. If you are lucky, you will get decent speeds. Otherwise you might feel cheated as your line might only be able to support a fraction of the promise.

Pay very good attention to the limits -

2GB might sound alot to the average user but this is not just download rate. This refersr to your whole online traffic! It does not half go quickly.

Now, please do not think I am slating Wanadoo. I have no idea who they are or what their service is like. Just do not get sucked in by the hype. Shop around properly as most services these days tie you upto at least a year!

Good luck whatever you chose....

5. Addis

Addis The King

Was going to say sabashuali. IMO and also a lot of the IT savvy people in the UK will agree that Blueyonder at the moment is the best ISP for reliability and speed. And also they increase speeds every year, sometimes more with 30%-50% hikes, and the prices change inversely.

£17.99 /mo at the moment for 512k, get very good speed, close to 60kb/s on good servers. Also this speed is being upgraded to 2mb for free by latest end of year. Only downside is that you have to have a Telewest box thingy near you, which most people do have.

6. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Alright peoples, we've let this thread stray away from the topic *guilty*,
    lets stick to the topic :)

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

You dont carry it around anymore, remember you gave it to me because you said it didnt work?

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thank you all very much for the help, suggestions, and offers, greatly apprecited:good:
    Fortunatly for me my dad was able to pick up a copy of MS Office 97 :)eek:) it may be really dated but for my friends use it's just fine. Thanks again everyone.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Cool, Glad things worked out, yeah it may be dated but it should be fine for basic stuff...

10. Addis

Addis The King

Threads finished so last comment. Was that Linspire? That wasn't the live one I carry around, I have DSL as Live. Although another Live distro like Knoppix may come in handy.

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

One question (I haven't installed it yet in case it doesn't like multiple installations for some reason): Since what version has that stupid paper clip guy been around?

12. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

I *think* it was introduced in the 97 version!

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

heh, figures, MS's biggest most irritating blunder.

14. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

A cut down version of Word is included, it's called Notepad. It's very cut down...

I love O:confused: 2.0. It's great and has a nice interface.

I know you have the 97 disk now. It might not work so well with XP though. I was using Office 2000 with XP and it froze a ton. I even reinstalled without it helping. Upgraded to 2003 and no problems. I use Oo.o and MS Office. I like them equally, but if I didn't ha ve the student discount on Office, it would be O:confused: all the way.

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

i bet someone has recommended it before me but in my opinion openoffice

free
    powerful
    reliable

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

zRoCk!! You're back! ^.^
    How's it going?
    anyway...
    Yeah for a free version OpenOffice would be good!
    I've also got Ability Office on here as well, cheap alternative which came with the computer, it's not bad actually...

17. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Cool, well he won't be using it a ton, just now and then when he needs to type and assignment so I doubt it will freeze too much, I hope. We'll see I guess.