Need to recover router password!

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by megamaced, Aug 16, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

My landlord has lost the username and password for the ADSL wired modem router! He can't find the instruction manual either. The router is a Safecom, but I am unsure of the model number.

Is there anyway to recover the lost login details? Do these modems usually have a recovery password which can be used to reset the password?

2. megamaced

Nevermind, a bit of googling did the trick!

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

I just saw on the net that the default settings for that router might possibly be:

Username: admin
    Password: epicrouter

The information I gleaned did not yield which Safecom model it was though.

However, this may not be of any use if they were changed from default when the router was originally set up.

4. megamaced

I've sorted it now, but thanks for your help anyway.

All I needed to do was reset the router by sticking a pin up a small hole on the back of the router :)

5. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Nice one! I guess that procedure might apply to most router/modems, and if it does, it will be handy for future reference.

6. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Perhaps slightly irrelavent as far as this thread goes, but I recently ran into a similiar problem with a Belkin Wireless Access Point for which the "stick-the-pin-in-the-hole" idea didn't seem to be working. After much Googling, I discovered the following trick, which should be noted here for completeness:

1. Disconnect the power from the device.

2. Using a pin or similar object, depress the reset button and keep depressed.

3. With the reset button depressed, re-connect the power.

4. Hold the button down for a few seconds more, possibly as much as 20, before releasing the button.

Eh voila, one shiny, new, factory-default device.

Of course, for most cases simply depressing the button once is effective but where it doesn't seem to be doing the trick, the above should.