Netgear WGT624 Firewall Router...

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Waffle, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

..okies, having a hell of a bad time trying to wirelessly network my house.

After RMA'ing the faulty Netgear DG632 Modem Router, I finally managed to configure it to the PC via USB, and browse the web.

I then followed the instructions on the cd (which are crap, btw) for installin the WGT624 Wireless Firewall Router. The first step asked me to take the ethernet cable from the PC, and put it in the router's internet port. Fair enough. EXCEPT I connected it via USB, like I was given the option to when setting up the modem.

So, I thought, I'd plug the cable directly into the Router, and stick the other end in the modem. Only trouble is, I can no longer access the 192.168.0.X point for the Wireless Router. The Modem page still comes up, but I don't know how to get to the Wireless Router's set up page. Also, as USB and Ethernet are plugged in, I am skeptical as it will work anyway.

Note - Using ethernet in modem doesn't work - gets to Settings stage, and the page (192.168.0.1) will not display...and the ethernet light is on, as well as the internet.

Any suggestions? Help very much appreciated.

2. Proteus

Proteus Geek Trainee

I can probably help you out but first I'll need a bit more info. I'm a little lost as to how you have your setup connected. In order to view the routers setup page you should have it setup as follows:

(Wall to Modem) via phone line or cable depending on whether you have cable or dsl.

(Modem to Router) via ethernet cable. Must go into the router's WAN port.

(Router to PC) via ethernet cable. From PC's ethernet port to any of the four availiable ports on the router.

Don't think you'll be able to use a usb cable in this setup as I've yet to see a router with a usb "in" port. If your modem does not have the ability to connect via ethernet you may need to request one from your ISP.

If your setup is configured the way I just described then you should be able to open your internet browser and view the router's setup page at Http://192.168.0.X. You can then configure your router to log onto the internet for you via your modem. You should also then be able to then configure your wireless network as well.

If you do already have your setup configured like this and are still having trouble please let me know.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I have a USB port on the Modem Router.

I can get the system hooked up like you said, but the settings page doesn't come up.

Thank you.