Netgear wireless repeater question

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Miltzi, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Miltzi

Miltzi Geek Trainee

At the moment I am using a wireless broadband company for my internet. Welcome to iBurst
    This is expensive for what you get (at the moment im paying about the equivalent of $100 US for 8gb of bandwidth per month at max somewhere around 384KB/s speeds.) I use a Netgear WNR-2000v2 for the broadband connection (it connects through my wireless modem) and I get good wireless-n reception around my house.

I plan on moving to an uncapped ADSL 4MB/s line and once the line is installed, I will need to buy an ADSL modem. My question is: If I purchase a wireless ADSL modem, will I be able to use my Netgear router as a wireless repeater/booster? (My Netgear router supports bridging and a wireless repeating function.) And if I buy a regular ADSL modem, will I be able to use my router to make the internet available wirelessly again throughout my house?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

2. Justin Crawford

Justin Crawford Geek Trainee

I had a netgear router and tried linking it with another linksys router running dd-wrt, I tried many times and different configurations, it failed either way. Netgear made the routers so if its not the exact same model then it refuses to link. You would be better off doing a DMZ forwarding from a wired modem to the internet port on your router.