Network only works one way

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by powerfreak, Feb 6, 2005.

1. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

Simple home network with crossover cable. File share only works 1 way. I have disabled all firewalls. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Make sure you have users/passwords set up on both ends. Also, make sure your shares are properly defined and privileges are set up properly on each.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

And are both pc's on the same work group?

4. Anti-Trend

I hear this a lot, but it actually isn't true. Systems don't have to be on the same workgroup to communicate, only on the same subnet. If the NetBIOS system you want to reach isn't listed in the "Network Neigborhood" tree (a common problem), you can connect manually by typing \\machine_name in Windows Explorer's address bar. Using the IP address, \\192.168.0.24 for example, would also work.

5. powerfreak

powerfreak Geek Trainee

I got it working. the "Server" service was set on automatic, but for some reason wasn't starting, so I had to start it manually.

THANKS

6. Anti-Trend

No problem. BTW, using your same method, you can make Windows attempt to restart the service if it fails. Very useful for important services such as firewalls or antivirus software.