network problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by slyraccoon, Mar 22, 2006.

1. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

main pc is
    IP address is 172.213.0.29
    subnet mask is 255.255.255.255
    default gateway is 172.213.0.29

2nd pc is
    IP address is 192.168.0.74
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.0.1
    its lucky i've got both pc's next to each other cheers

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

main pc is
    IP address is 172.213.0.29
    subnet mask is 255.255.255.255
    default gateway is 172.213.0.29

What about the second network card on the main PC? The one which connects to your second computer?

2nd pc is
    IP address is 192.168.0.74
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.0.1

That's setup almost correctly. Answer the first question first before we proceed

3. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

The 2nd Pc Has A Admtek An983 10/100 Pci Adapter In It

4. megamaced

Sorry I didn't mean that!

Can you confirm a) How you computer is connected to the internet and b) How your computer is connected to your second computer?

5. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

sorry my main pc connects to the internet through a bt voyager 105 modem and my main pc has onboard lan port which i have run a cat 5 network cable to the pci network card in my second pc cheers

6. megamaced

And how does your BT Voyager connect to your main PC? Is it via USB? I need the IP address of BOTH your BT Voyager, and your onboard LAN! IPCONFIG /all should display both for you

7. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

the bt voyager does connect via usb
    onboard lan is 192.168.0.1
    voyager is 169.254.149.122

8. megamaced

Do the IPCONFIG /all command again, and take a note of the default gateway for the BT Voyager.

MAIN PC Configuration

BT Voyager settings - leave alone, they are fine

Onboard LAN Settings
    Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click 'Local Area Connection (your onboard LAN) > Properties > Click (once) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties button > Click 'use the following IP address'

Enter the IP address: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: Write down the BT Voyagers default gateway and copy it here.
    DNS Server: Again, copy the BT voyager's default gateway here
    Alternative DNS Server: Leave blank

Advanced Button > WINS tab > Tick 'enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP'

Second Computer's configuration

Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click 'Local Area Connection > Properties > Click (once) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties button > Click 'use the following IP address'

Enter the IP address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
    Alternative DNS Server: Copy your BT Voyager's default gateway here

Advanced button > Add button (under default gateway) > Enter the BT voyagers default gateway here as well > WINS tab > tick 'enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP

And hey presto, both computers should have access to the internet. Sorry, this is a bit rush typed! If theres anything you need clarifying, then just ask!

9. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

sorry to be a pain what do i need to click on on the 2nd pc to get onto the net cheers for all your help your a star

10. megamaced

Any web browser will do. Just click on Internet Explorer on the desktop.

If you can't get the internet on the second computer, you will need to check connectivity.

From the second computer, go into the command prompt and type:

PING 192.168.0.1

If you get a reply, that means your second computer can talk to your main computer

Next, type PING *enter your BT Voyager's default gateway*

If you get a reply, that means your second computer can talk to your AOL modem

11. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

yes tried both of them and sent 4 packet details and recieved 4 on both so its working fine but when i go onto internet explorer it comes up can't find page even tried signing in on msn messenger and will not connection so i trouble shoot it and its failing on DNS unable to resolve IP address also Keys ports fail to connect to service could be inproper proxy or or firewall settings
    i did ask someone on aol help last night and they told me i had to have a router and there are not many that are suitable for aol so this is starting to niggle me cheers

12. megamaced

Well at least we know that your second computer CAN talk to the AOL modem. Half of the battle has been won :D Now all we have to sort out is this DNS issue

Just to clarify:

The main computer's onboard LAN should have it's DNS server set the same as the BT Voyager's default gateway

The Second computer's LAN should have it's main DNS server set to 192.168.0.1, and the alternative DNS server set to the BT Voyager's default gateway

Remember to enable 'NETBIOS over TCP/IP' on ALL network connections - including the BT Voyager!

13. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

sorry i have not been back i had some bad news from the doctors as for above everything is set but still won't connect so i'm having to wait to get a netgear router as only netgear and thompson onlt work with aol and of course they are more expensive than othe routers

14. slyraccoon

slyraccoon Geek Trainee

just to let you know i got a thompson 510 router and everything is fine thanks very much for your time and help