Networking Prob's

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by GezyB, Nov 19, 2004.

1. GezyB

GezyB Geek Trainee

Hi everyone could someone help me setup my Network please,i have the first comp on XP downstairs the second is windows 98 upstairs i have all the leads connected to a swich to Broadband but for some reason the 98 will not connect to the internet all the lights are flashing on the swich and the pc, if it's the settings for the 98 how and what do i do. It's a D-link 530tx card if that helps. Iv'e swopped the leads and every thing i can think of,but not the settings because i don't know waht to do. :confused:

2. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

It could be that as it's XP + 98, there is some sort of compatibility issue.

Are both on the same workgroup?

3. GezyB

GezyB Geek Trainee

Yeah there on the same workgroup

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

OK, the workgroup should not have anything to do with this problem. Make sure that your Win98 box is configured for DHCP (to get an IP address automatically from your router), and that your web browser is set to use your LAN and not an old dialup connection or something like that. Also verify that your network adapter is bound to the TCP/IP protocol.

If you follow the above suggestions and are still having difficulties, please run ipconfig on each computer, and post the results of each with your next post. That'll help us troubleshoot your problems more efficiently.

5. GezyB

GezyB Geek Trainee

Soz not been in touch been to London But Thanks,just that i don't know how to configured for DHCP or anything im crap at this,so please talk me through how to configure will you on the win98 if you don't mind ta very much :good:

6. Anti-Trend

Well, like I was telling somebody else in a different thread, I don't run Windows on any of my home systems. In addition, and all of the network servers I manage are Linux/Unix, so I haven't done this in a long while. I'll do my best to go by memory, but I may be askew on a few points, so please bear with me! :)

Right-click on Network Neigborhood. Choose Properties. In the Network Properties dialog, locate your LAN connection. Right-click on it. Again, choose Properties. Under the Protocols section (bottom pane), you should see TCP/IP. If it's not there, you'll need to add it (details fuzzy on that process). If it is present, right-click on that and... you guessed, click Properties. You should see an option to set a DHCP (or dynamic) IP address, or to set one manually. You want DHCP. Set all settings on this page to dynamic. Once this is finished, close out of that dialog, and click Start --> Run. Type winipcfg in the run dialog window, and hit Enter. In the WinIPCfg GUI, Release and then Renew your IP address. If you have trouble figuring the winipcfg part out, just skip it and reboot.

Hope this helps...
    -AT

7. GezyB

GezyB Geek Trainee

Soz but that din't work all i get is IP Configuration Error server unavailable renewing adapter then nowt else.....Help

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

What you need to do is to setup the DHCP server on your primary machine, ie: the machine that controls your internet. (Your XP Machine)

Login to your XP machine, goto:

Section 1My Computer, then on your left there will be a menu, with text links, to things such as "View Network Connections", "My Network Places", goto "View Network Connections", now, right click on your Network Connection, it will be called something like: "Local Area Connection".

Once you have right clicked on this network connection, you will have a small menu appear, click "properties" at the very bottom.

You are now presented with a new box, at the top of the box there are things called "tabs" these stick out like bookmarks do, when in a closed book.

You should have a "tab" called "General" click it, now you will see in the middle of the box there is a white area, with some tick boxes, it may look like this:

[ ] Client for Microsoft Networks
    [ ] File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    [ ] Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

these should all be ticked by default..

Now, click on the text named: "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
    At the bottom of this white box there are three buttons:
    "Install..."
    "Uninstall"
    "Properties"

Goto "Properties" (whilst you have the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" highlighted (selected), now you will be presented with another window / box, at the top it should be called "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties".

And you will see that you are on the "General" "tab", there will be some text describing what you can do, and below that there are 4 circular tick boxes.

Your Options are:
    "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    Use the following IP address"
    and
    "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
    "Use the following DNS server addresses"

Section 2
    Now make sure that out of the above options i have mentioned this is the combination of ticked / unticked:

"Obtain an IP address automatically" - Should NOT be selected or ticked
    "Use the following IP address:" - Should be ticked

"Obtain DNS server address automatically" - Should be ticked
    "Use the following DNS server addresses" - Should not be ticked

Now when you ticked the: "Use the following IP address:" option, you should then be able to fill in (specify) 3 things:
    "IP address:"
    "Subnet mask:"
    "Default gateway:"

Set them to this:
    "IP address:" should be set to: 192.168.10.1

(where i put the full stops is where the full stops are already placed in the box where you input the numbers or "IP address")

Now leave "Subnet mask" and "Default gateway" alone, and click "OK" at the very bottom of the box.

Now click "OK" Again, on the first box you brought up, which will still be open.

Now goto your other computer.. your Windows 98 machine, and follow my instructions up until Section 2, now use this configuration:

The only options on your windows 98 machine that should be ticked are:
    "Obtain IP address automatically"
    and
    "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

Section 3
    Now goto your windows XP machine, right click on "My Computer", select "Properties" there should be lots of different "tabs" available, select "Network Identification"

Now change your "WORKGROUP" to: "MYNETWORK" (without quotation marks)

click "OK", then "OK" untill it asks u to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect, now reboot your computer.

Now, goto your Windows 98 machine and do the same, although in Windows 98 it may not be called "Network Identification" it may be under something similiar like "Network" or "Identification" and change the "Workgroup" to "MYNETWORK" (without quotations), then click "OK", e.t.c until u get out and u are prompted that "For these changes the take effect your pc needs to be restarted". click OK to restart, or just restart..

You will now be on the same network :)

Hope this helps, its from memory as i have no win98 or xp machines near me, but i'm sure its pretty accurate.

9. GezyB

GezyB Geek Trainee

Thanks But it cant get the obtain DNS to stay checked with use the following IP adress
    and i've just tried but the XP wouldn't go online so i had to go back, keep helping...Or would it be better to buy a new network card

10. Anti-Trend

Actually, if I were you I'd just buy or build a router. :) It may sound complicated, but it actually simplifies things quite a bit, not to mention vastly improving security.

11. GezyB

GezyB Geek Trainee

Hi i've just got a new lan swich 5 port and it still does'nt work....i fell like chucking it out the window but my son want's the internet on it so i will have to keep tyring.....Thanks for everyones help but if you have any more help let me have it...Great bunch of guys..TA VERY MUCH

12. Anti-Trend

A router is very different from a switch... check out our Networking FAQ.