new build - specs - please assist!

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by n0chi, Jul 25, 2005.

1. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

hey all,

first of all, great forums!

i will be putting together a pc towaards the end of summer. i suspect to start buying parts towards the end of aug, i mosly play hl2, and watch movies and listen to music on my comp. im not a hardcore gamer or anything, but at the same time, i dont want my comp to be too bad at gaming either.

im thinking of putting together the whole rig from newegg, and so far here is the list of things i have liked:

-----------------------
    $190 | AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
    -----------------------
    $235 | SAPPHIRE 100600SR Radeon X800PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    -----------------------
    $110 | EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard – Retail
    -----------------------
    $85 | CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
    -----------------------
    $80 | Antec Solution SLK1650B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply – Retail
    -----------------------
    $63 | HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 HDS728080PLA380 -0A30356 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM
    -----------------------
    $44 | NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A – OEM
    -----------------------
    Total: ~$800

my main concerns are, are all the parts ok?, is newegg ok? this would be my first build, so are these parts ok for a n00b to work with. i have never overclocked before.. so i probably wouldnt, but i dont mind doing it if i can learn how :-P

anyways, thanks for your time :)
    c ya.

2. Addis

Addis The King

Everthing seems ok apart from the case. Its only got a 350W PSU, and although Antec are good, 350 doesn't seem enough to power an X800/A64 system. You may be able to, but i'd get a 400W minimum from Antec or other good brand just incase.

Newegg are good.

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

Yeah, it looks pretty good. Addis is right though, you're more than likely going to regret it if you dont get a different PSU. So if you're considering taking our advice, take a look at this - http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=5218 . And yes, newegg is a very good choice when buying parts. I think the universal feeling with them is that while they are not always the cheapest, they have a great selection, fast shipping, and little or no hassle.

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

for RAM i wouldn't pay the minimum, even though it should be fine, better RAM allows better performance and stability when overclocking.

for PSUs 400W would be satisfactory, but I'd recommend minimum 500W since PSUs dont live up to their specs under full load, most 500W PSUs perform 350W on full load.

and also nice mobo selection, that board got very good marks

also to help you can read this thread
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=6700

members had contributed too for additional advice, very good for new builders to read

n0chi likes this.
  5. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

hey guys,
    glad to hear the psu warning. so, i came up with a slightly cheaper version of something that would still make me happy :) (as in play hl cs:s well, and play movies / music) or so i think hehe. let me know if that is not so.

-----------------------
    $146 | AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
    -----------------------
    $167 | Leadtek PX6600GT TDH Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

-----------------------
    $110 | EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard – Retail
    -----------------------
    (have to change this) $85 | CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
    -----------------------
    (have to change this) $80 | Antec Solution SLK1650B Black Steel ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply – Retail
    -----------------------
    $63 | HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 HDS728080PLA380 -0A30356 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM
    -----------------------
    -----------------------
    Total: ~$700

and i figure i can spend the 100 that is saved on better ram / case with better psu. would this be ok? and any suggestions for better cases w/ better psus and better ram?

also, one n00b question hehe, when a case has front audio ports, is that just an extension that makes something plug into the back ones, or do we actually get 2 separate sets of plugs?

thanks all!

6. Addis

Addis The King

Although it may cost more, you're better off choosing a cheaper case, and buying a separate PSU, a quality brand. You can get a cheaper case, unscrew whatever crappy PSU it comes with and put the better one in.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

If you want HL2 to look as good as possible then stick with the X800Pro as it's a lot faster than the 6600GT. The 3000 was a good choice as it performs similarly to the 3200 and it overclocks like a mother. In my opinion your ram is fine, Corsair makes perfectly fine ram as we all know. You'll still get decent overclocks out of it if you want and you'll get a very minor performance boost by paying over twice as much even.

8. Addis

Addis The King

Ex he's trying to keep it to $700, of course its better, but the 6600GT will still perform well. Its the PSU that needs to be sorted.

9. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

im assuming that dropping the cpu and vid cards still dont make the 350w psu good enough hehe....

would also getting a more expensive antec case (with a better antec psu) work out to be the same thing?

also, i think the athlon 3000 will do

still uncertain about vid card, and memory.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

11. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

hl2 isn't a really demanding game.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm not a big fan of Epox motherboards, and although I've heard good things about the 9NPA series, I'm very hesitant to recommend them. For a no nonsense board, I'd check out Asus A8N-E.

I'd read up on the A8N-E as well as the Chaintech VNF4 Ultra. While I also am a big fan of the DFI NF4 Ultra-D, it's got a lot of BIOS settings and is geared toward the hardcore enthusiast.

The Radeon X700 Pro or a GeForce 6600GT (eVGA or XFX are probably the cheapest brands) would also be a good alternative if you want some muscle but need to trim your budget.

And yes, definitely get a better PSU. Enermax PSU's or the Fortron Blue Storm 400W or 500W units would be about your best bet. Expect to pay around $70-90 for a good, quality unit. If you have to trim the budget, downgrade your video card a little, but don't skimp on the PSU.

That Thermaltake unit Exfoliate linked isn't bad, but the 12V rail is a little low for what you're looking to run. I wouldn't get something with less than 20A at the bare minimum for an Athlon 64.

n0chi likes this.
  13. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

well for the cpu, it seems the 3000 runs at 1.8ghz at stock, and to pump that up to at least 2, i would have to make the fsb go from 200 to 222, cause there is a 9x multiplier and i believe i cant change the multiplier.

at any rate, if i choose to do this, i would need ram that can handle 222, does the corsair valuselect series that i have chosen do that? or should i go for better ram for that?

also, any one know some good "budget" psu-less cases?

thanks again!

14. Fred

Fred Moderator

This case comes with a PSU, but you can just throw it out... I very highly recommend this case. Great airflow and comes with fans that you wont need to replace for quite some time. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811150015 $35. It's not super fancy, but it is very good to get the job done! Hope this helps - :good:

15. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

16. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

n0chi likes this.
  17. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

im not a fan of the whole window / flashing lights thing :p but yea that does look cool tho, if i were into that kinda thing ;)

another lil question i have.. which someone may or may not know is..

most of these reviewers give benchmarks for video cards, and they do test half life 2.. which is my primary game. but usually they pick a a single player level to do the tests in, and usually ati cards have been better than nvidia cards.
    whould those figures apply to counter strike (an add on) as well?

and also would it be an advantage to have an nvidia card in a nvidia mobo?

thanks.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Those figures would give you a somewhat accurate depiction of what CS:S should look and run like, since they're both build form the same engine. CS:S might actually run a little better if you have a really good conection as it doesn't have to worry about AI as much but obvioulsy that's not a video card thing.
    There's no real benifit fo using an nVidia card in an nVidia nForce mobo, the only time you need to do this in SLI mode which requires two identical GeForce 6 cards (certan ones at that) to run in tandum in case you didn't know. Just get the best card you can afford:)

19. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

ok guys! i got a little extra money into the budget and heres what ive come up with.. based on all your kind suggestions :) thanks a lot!

-----------------------
    $190 | AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
    -----------------------
    $230 | SAPPHIRE 100600SR Radeon X800PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    -----------------------
    (still thinking about the previous epox one as well) $120 | ASUS A8V-E Deluxe Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    -----------------------
    $100 | OCZ Premier Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
    -----------------------
    $80 | Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply 100 - 240V TUV, UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC – Retail
    -----------------------
    $65 | Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380817AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive – OEM
    -----------------------
    $60 | Antec Solution SLK3000-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    -----------------------
    -----------------------
    $40 | Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 80mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink – Retail
    -----------------------
    Total: ~$930

hopefully this is very overclock friendly, as i have gotten better ram and a better ocing cpu, and mobo. woo hoo! :p

20. Addis

Addis The King

Whether the RAM will overclock far or not can be a bit of a gamble. If you want to oc, then I'd get PC3500 RAM, it will allow you to go further, or at least reach your oc speeds.

n0chi likes this.