new build - specs - please assist!

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by n0chi, Jul 25, 2005.

1. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

id say the bottom one is 256MB, and the top RAM you linked seems ok, the loose timings will give you some good overclocking options!

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, Nochi, you keep asking about what's good, but when we recommend it, you go with something cheaper that may very well not be good enough for what you want. That Thermaltake 420W you're looking at isn't going to be much of an upgrade from that Antec. It may work, but honestly, if you're going to spend this kind of money for a new build, you're going to be better off to spend a little extra for an Enermax 420-450W unit because the 12V rails are a bit meatier. That's my main point of contention with the majority of the ThermalTake units. For Socket A and Socket 478 system (old Athlons and older P4's), those are great units.
    On the RAM, I'd probably go with that PQI 512MB kit. It uses 2x256MB sticks to get the 512MB. They're relatively new to the enthusiast segment, but I've read some good things about them, and it's really tough to argue with that price.
    As for Q-Tec PSU's, those are probably some of the worst units you can buy. There's very few brands I'd stay the hell away from, and Q-Tec makes that list.

Matt555 likes this.
  4. n0chi

n0chi Geek Trainee

thanks big b :cool: