New Cartridge But Prints Green

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by Pimp, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Hello

I have a Lexmark X2300 and i recently fitted it with a new cartridge but for sum reason this printer prints everything in green especially black text. My ink levels are full i tried to clean the cartridge by doing a special print from the software to help clean it but still prints in green. Is the printer at fault or is it a faulty cartridge? :x:

2. betsy

betsy Geek Trainee

Is it a genuine Lexmark cartridge or a refilled one?

Might be worth cleaning the print head on the cartridge with a wet wipe.

Sounds like the cartridge.

3. Pimp

Hello

Its not a refile its a brand new actual Lexmark cartridge

I did wipe the cartridge with a wet cloth and its done nothing it still prints everything in green. I printed a test print where all the colours are printed in straight lines green, yellow, blue are fine but red is only half printed.

Dunno what to do. I cant return the faulty cartridge as i cant find the receipt i might just have to order another one :doh:

4. betsy

betsy Geek Trainee

I would say you have a faulty cartridge but if you go into the printing preferences and open the tool box you could perform a print cartridge clean and calibration as a last resort.

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Can you print out the default test page that is held withing the printers memory (this is usually done by holding down the power/cancel button) ?

6. Pimp

I honestly don't know how to print a default test page i tried what you said by pressing or holding down the power button but it just spits out a blank page ????? :doh:

7. Pimp

I finally got it working and now it prints normally with no more GREEN. All i did was just to clean the cartridge again with a cloth and this time it seems to have done the trick. :D

I printed a test page by going into the software and clicking on test page holding down the power button does nothing. But anyways test page was fine with nice bright colours. :D

Thanks for the help betsy + ferg

8. henry222

henry222 Geek

Hi, FWIW I read somewhere that Magenta ( the red ink) is by far the most-likely ink to go dry - perhaps this cartridge was a bit old, or stored somewhere warm.

What on earth compelled you to buy a Genuine "Lexmark" cartridge, when most refils are available from Tesco? (at considerably lower prices)

9. Pimp

lol i don't know but i have bought 2 cartridges off ebay for the same price as you buy 1 from the shops so i got a bargain there. I also heard that the ink from refills is not as good quality as brand new ones is that true?

10. henry222

henry222 Geek

Probable true - Printer makers have a reputation to maintain, unfortunately this converts into the price the market will stand.
    Alternative suppliers don't have the same objectives - just that it's good enough and cheap.

However, some believe all inks are using similar technology and it's only the label that dictates price. I guess if it's for work - use the genuine part...at home the alternative is good enough.

For the best quality/archive photo longevity, it might be argued that the printer manufacturer's inks will be better.

I don't think anyone has done good comparitive tests, but if you stick with a well-known alternative, you are saving some money.