New computer problems

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by ankydu, Apr 23, 2005.

1. ankydu

ankydu Geek Trainee

My pc configuration is P-4 3.0(ht and 1mb l2 cache) ghz processor, intel 915GAV motherboard,512X2=1gb DDR 400mhz kingston RAM in dual channel, segate 80GB sata hdd, samsung 80gb ide hdd, samsung combo drive, 450watt power supply, frontech saturn cabinet running winodws XP pro with SP2. I have 5 questions to ask.
    1. when I installed CD-rom drive, in that case whenever I try to copy something from the cd and simultaneously try to listen to mp3 stored on my hdd the songs jerks and do no play correctly. I tried by changing 3 CD-ROMS 2 samsung and one compaq, but no help, The problem gets sorted out only when I forcefully enable DMA on the CD-rom Drives even though they do not support it wheres this problem dosent arises with my combo drive. Is there any problem in my motherboard. Please Help.( I have already updated my bios and installed the latest drivers for all the hardware I have.)
    2. The motherboard has only one Ide port( and four sata ports) whereas I have 2 ide hdds and 2 cdrom drive( 1cd-rom + 1 combo drive) is there any way I can Connect these all with Any sata to ide or vice-versa conversion solution. If there is any how much it would cost, please help.
    3. Thirdly If i am able to connect all these or not(with existing hardware) Will I require more power rating power Supply, I currently have 450watt quantum power supply.
    *4. My Cpu temperature starts with 48*C on system boot-up and reaches sometimes to 65*C, is this normal, I have already installed one additional fan at the back side, do i need to install more fans. please help.*
    5.Out of these two sata HDDs which is better and more reliable- segate ST383817AS 80gb or samsung SP0812C.
    PLEASE HELP

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd pick up an IDE controller card and stick the hard drives on that. You're looking at anywhere from $25-50 depending on what card you get. I would not recommend getting SATA -> IDE converters as these can cause corruption and usually have a major performance hit.

I've not heard of Quantum power supplies, so I can't say, but I would seriously consider getting some know brand. Drives aren't massive power hogs, so you should be able to use all your drives fine. I still would replace the power supply with something like an Enermax, Sparkle or Fortron unit.
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=5218
    That's a detailed write up about power supplies I wrote, and will give a good explaination as to why wattage doesn't really mean much.