New Gaming Pc

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by goodyxxx, Mar 13, 2009.

1. goodyxxx

goodyxxx Geek Trainee

hello i will be getting a new gaming PC and i wont be building ill be buying from cyber power PC anyways i want some opinion's/criticism

it will be a gamer dragon 9000 customized

case:Xion III Gaming Mid-Tower 420W Case with Side Window
    3 extra case fan's
    power:580 Watts Power Supplies (SLI Ready Power Supply)
    CPU:AMD Phenomâ„¢II X4 910 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
    Cooling Fan:XtremeGear Ultra Heatpipe Cool Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof)
    Motherboard: Biostar TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    Memory: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory,Corsair or Major Brand
    Video Card:ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 512MB Video Card
    Hard Drive:750GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
    Sound: ESS 3D WAVETABLE SOUND PCI

Keep in mind i know very little about computer's thats why i wanted to ask here:)

i realize its a cheap case any recommendation's that i could swap out on the website?
    also i want a power supply good enough to run that video card if the one i have isn't sufficient please tell me:)

i want to keep this under 1 grand hopefully :( i know thats hard for a gaming computer

2. Dartht33bagger

Dartht33bagger Geek Trainee

You could always buy a new case and PSU and transfer it all over.

I'm personally an Intel and Nvidia person. So if I was you I'd get an Intel Core Quad and a Nvidia 9800 GTX or Nvidia GTX 295.

3. goodyxxx

goodyxxx Geek Trainee

thanks ill take that into consideration although personally i am an AMD fan Ive got a AMD Athlon 64 duel core and its a great machine just out of date.

swapping out cases would be good i do not want to rick messing anything up :( i dont trust myself

ive heard that thermal take is decent

also is my power sufficient ? ive read around and heard that for a quad core you do need lots of power plus the HD videocard :) i just dont wanna buy it and have it fry

4. Dartht33bagger

5. goodyxxx

goodyxxx Geek Trainee

not to noob friendly i see :(

i cant really understand what its asking about 50% of the things >.<

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hey not a bad setup but personally I would update the graphics card to a ATI Radeon 4870 Sapphire HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer this is a good card its slightly better than the Nvidia GTX 260. I own a GTX 260 and gotta says its a beast of a card. but this Radeon 4870 is slightly better, you won't be dissapointed.

For power supply unit I would recommend 750W but in the future if your going to upgrade to two way crossfire (two Ati Radeons 4870's) I would recommend about 900w.

For your motherboard RAM I would also upgrade it to DDR2 1066mhz memory because thats the maximum memory speed your motherboard supports (better than 800mhz)

BTW: on my setup I run a 800w PSU, and have a intel core 2 quad and a GTX 260, Reason for going for 800W is so i don't stress the PSU.

7. goodyxxx

goodyxxx Geek Trainee

okay thanks :) BoBBYI986 i wont be going crossfire as i dont have the money for it

also i would like to take up that recommendation on the 4870 but i am satisfied with the 4850

ill see if i can upgrade the ram and post back

is there really no way quad core can run on a 580 Wat?

again thanks.

8. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, yea you will be fine with a quad core & radeon 4850 with a 580w PSU.

9. goodyxxx

goodyxxx Geek Trainee

okay thanks :) cause i was reviewing the prices on newegg

just out of curiosity if i got a bigger power supply could i overclock easier?
    and are there any huge advantages to a bigger power supply other than being able to run more efficiently?

if in the case i do choose down the road :)
    and is the ddr2 1066 really worth it? i can stomach 200$ extra, but is it really needed?
    im gonna be shot for all these bloody question's
    HARD DRIVE COOLING FAN :Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System -what is this all about is this the big fan ? i thought the case wich i newly selected to be Thermaltake Spedo Full Tower 420W Case w/ Side-panel Window had a huge fan already...?

10. Dartht33bagger

Larger PSU just means more power in the future for upgrades and less stress on the PSU.

As for the RAM, if your going to overclock you want the faster ram, so that you can overclock that more as well.

11. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

you can overclock easy with the power supply you've already got, wont make any difference, all your gonna alter really is your Vcore (cpu) possibly Vdram (ram) voltages.

only main reason many people will get bigger power supply is because its more future proof incase they wanna upgrade their system e.g add another graphics card to go crossfire in the future.

You should only really go above what you need e.g. say your system requires 550W its best to go for about 600-650w power supply, basically when your gaming your system is using more wattage and therfor your power supply won't strain and fail. If you have a power supply thats right on the limit e.g. your system requires 550w and you have a
    550w power supply unit, it will be right on its limits and will fail fairly quickly.

As for you RAM DDR2 you say it costs $200 for some 1066mhz DDR2 is crazy, Just stick to your 800mhz ram. no point upgrading if its gonna cost you $200.

you will be right with that case dude, just add a few more 120mm fans inside if needed.

12. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

First of all, cyber power pc is a magazine not an online store lol.

I would still recomend an intel processor, mabye an E7400 or a Q9400, you get more value for your money with intel.

Also getting better ram is pointless. 4GB is enough. The ram speed only needs to be half the fsb, and seing these intel cpu's are 1333mhz fsb you could even get 667mhz. You won't get 2 fps differnence between DDR2-667 and DDR3 1.8ghz. Just get some fairly cheap ram, I picked up 4GB of transcend DDR2-800 for $50au yesterday.

The 4850 is better than 9800GTX+, it's better value for money, and uses less power so you can get a cheaper power supply.
    Warning: Do not get a generic power supply! I did on my first upgrade and it exploded and destroyed $250 worth of parts. Make sure you read the power supply sticky: http://www.hardwareforums.com/power-supply-sticky-5218/

I reccomend a coolermaster extremepower 650W for the 4850.

13. Dartht33bagger

Only problem with ATI is the horrible opengl support.