New Hard Drive Release? Overclocking?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by SirDeity, Feb 7, 2003.

1. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

"Well looks like I got caught napping (not that, thats anything out of the ordinary). I see over at xbit labs that Western Digital is going to launch a 10,000rpm SATA drive on Feb. 11, 2003. Remember, thats the day after AMD launches the Barton, which im sure we are all looking forward to. " --forum

Wow there is going to be a new 10,000RPM hard drive being released next Tuesday? Any idea how much it will cost? Can you confirm its release on Tuesday? Will that be the day I can expect
    to see it on shelves all over? Or is it the day they just start shipping them out? If I can pick one up sometime next week I'll do that. When you think they'll be in Best Buy or Circuit City?

What is the AMD Barton??

I'm building a new PC soon, but I still don't know whether or not I'm going to plan on overclocking. Do you guys think I should overclock? Would you? What are the pros and cons to overclocking? As far as I know, the only negative thing about overclocking is things get hotter. I read somewhere things are more unstable when overclocked, but what does that mean? Does it mean the computer will crash more often?? Help me out here. If I'm going to overclock then I'll get the best motherboard for overclocking and I'll stay with the two 512PC3500RAM sticks. If I'm not going to overclock then I'll switch back to the 512PC3200RAM sticks since I won't be able to use the RAM at a faster speed than 3200 anyway.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Barton is a new Athlon core. It's main features are a 512kB L2 cache instead of the current Athlon's 256kB, and a 333MHz FSB. I believe it also uses a smaller die manufacturing process.

For the WD 10k SATA drive, I wouldn't expect to see it at Best Buy and the like yet. I'd keep my eye's peeled at online stores like Newegg before.

I haven't paid attention to hard drive releases that much, but the 10k RPM ATA drives is nice if that's true (it's about time).

I expect it to be on the expensive side, price varying on the size.
    I'll have to check around and see if anyone else has some info. This is something that should've been broadcast over the internet, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

Overclocking can make your system unstable if you overdo it, don't give enough voltage or the CPU get's too hot. Same for the memory and video cards. If you overclock with the FSB, you can set the PCI and AGP busses faster than their normal speeds. Some cards will crap out after so fast of speed. I have an Ultra ATA card with a CMD 694 controller chip in it that craps out after a 37MHz PCI bus speed. The nForce 2 chipset allows you to lock the PCI and AGP busses at a particular speed, thus eliminating a potential problem with overclocking.