New Laptop:not too shabby

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by beretta9m2f, Mar 2, 2006.

1. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Finally Got my laptop up and running.

The Laptop i ordered from IBUYPOWER.COM had a funky display issue right from the start. I sent it back and told them not to bother repairing it and to just send me a new one. They did just that. Last week i finally received the replacement. It works just fine.

If anyone wants a laptop to game on, these specs word very well.
    Mobile AMD® Turion™64 MT-40 CPU [2.2GHz, 1MB Cache] w/Hyper Transport Technology
    1gb Corsiar 3200 RAM
    PCI-Express Mobility 128MB ATI Radeon X700 (don't think its upgradable)
    5400rpm 80GB hard drive- (enough for me, but some may want the 7200rpm hard drives)
    I play call of duty 2 with 1024x768 res with medium detail without a hitch, no hiccups or fps drops. CS:Source/HL2 works like a charm at 1280x800 (widescreen ratio) and max settings for everything except AA and AF. average of 90fps. Guild Wars runs just as good as it does on my desktop. Everything is on max except for the resolution, i play at 1024x768.
    I'm about to install other games, probably Doom 3 and FEAR just to see how those games fare on an ATI mobile card.

The laptop only gets hot after extensive play,(2 hours) but the performance doesn't seem to degrade because of this, it runs consistently well. Overall after the initial screen problem i'm satisfied with it. The laptops only downside is that it doesn't seem like it can survive even one fall......gotta make sure i keep it safe at all times. It is also light, only about 6lbs, but thats never an issue with me. Over all i'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. -1pt b/c of its fragility, -1 because it didn't come with separate buttons for volume and brightness, you have to use the blue function key along with one of the f keys in order to adjust either. and -0.5 because the keyboard is not always responsive. you can press a key maybe twice sometimes in order to get the response. Just gotta break 'em in.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Sounds cool, what's the battery life like on it?

3. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

3 hours, or so windows says, i haven't quite tested it out fully for battery life with games. But with the brightness level all the way down, it lasted well over 2 hours just running microsoft word and excel (management info systems homework);)