New System - Bad outcome :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by leachyy2k, Jul 25, 2003.

1. leachyy2k

leachyy2k Geek Trainee

Hey guys

Ive just built my new spec -

- Intel P4 3.06Ghz 533 FSB
    - MSI 865PE Neo motherboard
    - 512mb Corsair 3200 DDR 400
    - my old card transferred - Leadtek Ti4600 128mb

First of all, i had CPU temperature problems. My Idle CPU temperature was around 68 deg C. Today i went out and bought a Volcano 7 from thermaltake, and an akasa chasis fan. I have the Volcano on high, 6000 RPM. When i first installed it, CPU idle temperature was 52 - 53 deg C.Now after i have done numerous benchmarks (3D Mark 2001 SE, SiSoft Sandra multi test, encoded AVI to MPG with TMPG Enc), my CPU idle temperature is 62 deg C. Im not sure about all this CPU temperature thing, so you guys i hope will enlighten me. Also, my 3D Mark 2001 SE score is 13646, i was expecting quit a bit better than that for the spec ive built.

Thanx, Mike.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You'll likely see better temps if you use a thermal paste like Arctic Silver 2 or 3. Make sure you scrape off the previous thermal pad on the heatsink and any that gets on the CPU.

As for the 3Dmark score, I compared it at Futuremarks ORB tool online, and the best explaination I can give is that they're either: A.)Using a board with the Canterwood chipset, instead of Springdale like you have; and/or, B.)overclocking their video card.
    Also, if you didn't do a clean install of Windows when swapping motherboards, that can also affect the score.

3. zeus

zeus out of date

If you wanna better score get overclocking your gpu and video ram.
    I personally would expect summit like what you've got though for the comp.

Get some paste on the cpu and you should get a nice overclock out of it, its got bags of potential :)

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Make sure you apply a layer of thermal paste as thin as possible on the cpu, you can also put a little on the heatsink where the core touches it and rub it so it fills all the "valleys".

Also, make sure nothing is obstructing the airflow inside the case.

5. leachyy2k

leachyy2k Geek Trainee

Thanx guys

Hey guys,

When i applied the thermal paste, i applied a thin layer on the heat sink, and a layer on the CPU that u could just read the writing, i read a tutorial on ocuk and it worked out good. However, i think i have found my problem for a low 3D Mark score. My motherboard is an MSI 865PE Neo, which supports 800FSB and 400DDR dual channel. My CPU is an Intel P4 3.06Ghz 533FSB. Now, if a 533FSB CPU is used, the 400Mhz DRAM frequency is disabled and the highest available is the 333Mhz, but if an 800FSB is in use, you can use the 400Mhz setting for my Corsair XMS PC3200 400DDR chip. So, i phoned up my local PC store where i got it from, and they will restock my 3.06Ghz 533fsb for 15% of the original price, and i will pay the extra for the 3.00Ghz 800FSB. Hopefully, this will resolve my low 3D Mark as i should be able to get the best out of my mobo, cpu and memory all at their best. Also, my volcano 7 is now producing idle temperatures of 48 deg C now. When i get my new 800FSB CPU, im gonna use Artic Silver 3 on it. Ive also been told to place a cooling fan on my side panel window directly over the CPU fan, which should give a direct flow to my volcano and give me a few degrees C decline in temp. Thanx for all replies, Mike.