New System: being begaffeled

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by darb, May 10, 2006.

1. darb

darb Geek Trainee

I just put together a new system and can't get it to post.

There is power to the mobo, there is a LED, but the power button accomplishes nothing.

My first guess is that the panel connectors may be set wrong.

The Antec case case manual states that the label always needs to face the front of the case, yet on the ASUS mobo that is impossible. There is four pin wide connector for the speaker and a horizontal 10 X 2 connector, not to mention the whole general layout is horizontal.

I have tried various ways, label up and down but can't get a go.

Black is ground, correct?

Any suggestions?

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

What motherboard do you have?

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try the power switch (on front of pc plugged into M/B) look at your M/B manual and short the 2 pins (labeled power sw) and see if your pc starts, if it does, the switch is :swear: knackered

4. darb

darb Geek Trainee

the mobo is an Asus P5VDC-MX.

I tried to jump start it, still no action.

so mobo or PS?

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

take off all your case connectors/switches to your motherboard

find the power on jumpers on your motherboard from your motherboard manual, case won't have anything to do with it really

use a screwdriver or some metal piece to short the two jumpers but be careful not to hit anything else

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

unfurtunately, the only way to check (PSU or M/B) is to try replacing them, first try to borrow a PSU (or buy one, a PSU is cheaper than a M/B)

7. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Here are some things to look for if your PC won't power on:

Check the power cord and outlet.
    Check the power supply's connector to the motherboard. Disconnect and reconnect to be sure its firmly connected.

Check the power supply. If you can test it in another PC, try it.
    Check the power switch on the PC's case and make sure it's properly connected to the motherboard. Try shorting the jumper pins that the switch uses to power on the PC. If that works, the switch is bad.
    Make sure the motherboard surface is not making contact with the metal case (except at its mounting points). Take the motherboard and power supply out of the case and place them on a non-conductive surface (wooden table, etc.). If it boots, something was probably shorting out in the case.