no audio device?????

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by brown eyed girl, Nov 23, 2005.

1. brown eyed girl

brown eyed girl Geek Trainee

In trying to work out why my laptop won't play any sounds, I discovered that I apparently have no audio devices installed (according to control panel, audio devices). It was fine yesterday!! My friend has exactly same laptop (bought on same day from same place with same features etc.) and her sound device is apparently 'realtek ac97'. Is there any way I can get this working again? It doesn't seem to be anywhere on my computer! (I have WindowsXP if that makes any difference). Any help is really really appreciated, as I am dying to listen to my music!! Thank you.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Sometimes when you do an automated Windows update, your Realtek AC97 codec is replaced with Microsoft's "Newer! Better!" AC97 Codec. Unfortunately, this almost always breaks audio altogether. There are many variations of the Realtek AC97, so I don't know which driver to recommend for you. Can you please provide some info on your laptop, make model etc?

Thanks,
    -AT

3. brown eyed girl

Thank you for replying!!! :cool:
    Is it likely that I did a Windows update? don't remember doing that, not that my memory is very reliable! It's an Acer Aspire 1670.......

4. Anti-Trend

Yes, with Windows XP SP2, it nags you to death until you either turn on auto-update or update manually. So if you haven't been nagged in the last few minutes, it's likely auto-updating. Though it sometimes seems otherwise, it is a good thing to keep your OS as up to date as possible, especially since Microsoft is often 6 months or more behind on patches. :rolleyes: Anyway, here is where you can find the official sound driver for your laptop.

All the best,
    -AT

5. brown eyed girl

I can't seem to work that link :( It gives me the option to open or save - if I open nothing happens, but if I save I then cannot open it again, it says 'this file is invalid or corrupted' or whatever that message is! What's wrong with my computer??!!! Or is it just me? More likely, it has to be said!!

6. Anti-Trend

Works fine for me, and I don't even run Windows. :p The drivers are in a compressed '.zip' archive. What you need to do is extract them to somewhere on your harddrive, e.g. C:\Drivers\ and run the 'Setup.exe' executable.

7. brown eyed girl

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Thank you so so so much you are a star :) thank you!! I've been so lost without my music!! Really really really really appreciate it, thank you tonnes and tonnes!!!! :D

8. Anti-Trend

No problem, glad to help. :)

9. Miss Tiesha

Miss Tiesha Geek Trainee

Hey I have the exact same problem as Brown Eyed Girl did. My sound was working just fine and then the next day it said no audio output device installed! What can I do to get my sound back working? My laptop is a Everex Stepnote VA250E. Can you please help me?

10. Anti-Trend

If it's running Windows, I think this is your driver download page: Everex - NC1500 Downloads

11. Miss Tiesha

Miss Tiesha Geek Trainee

For some reason when I download the file it wont work because I dont have something called WinZip!!

12. Anti-Trend

13. Miss Tiesha

Miss Tiesha Geek Trainee

It didnt work!:(

14. Anti-Trend

What didn't work -- extracting the contents of the zip file, installing them afterwords, or the drivers once installed?

15. Miss Tiesha

Miss Tiesha Geek Trainee

I installed the zip thing and then the drivers but it was still taling about I have to unzip files and I ran it 3 times but nothing happened