No sound on speakers. Cannot find Multimedia Audio Controller.

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by jlevitas, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jlevitas

jlevitas Geek Trainee

Hello,

I recently had everything wiped on my computer so it appeared how it did when I first bought it. I've managed to get everything up and running again besides the speakers. There is no sound. The setup detects 'Multimedia Audio Controller' but then gives me the message: The hardware cannot be installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software. In addition the Multimedia Audio Controller has a big yellow exclaimation mark next to the icon, as does Ethernet Controller, in Device Manager. I'm sure one of you guys probably know what the problem is- please enlighten me. Thank you.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 with Windows XP.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

you just need to download and install the drivers from here Dell Support Home Page select your model and download the required drivers.

3. jlevitas

jlevitas Geek Trainee

Thanks for your speedy response. I did all that. I selected the model, went to the Audio section and ran the Analog Devices driver. However it didn't install and I received the message: The audio driver file does not support you computer.

4. Sniper

Is that the exact error message you get if not can you post the correct message?

Edit: after selecting your model set the "Importance" select box to "Recommended"

then download/install the chipset drivers, I think thats what you need.

5. jlevitas

jlevitas Geek Trainee

Hello. The exact message is: The audio driver files do not support your computer software.
    Although I should mention that when I filter for "Recommended" downloads on the Dell Drivers and Downloads Search Criteria page, the audio download previously mentioned is not listed (meaning its an optional download). Could I be missing another essential download? Thanks again.

6. Sniper

Download the intel drivers under the "chipset" category as I mentioned above.

7. jlevitas

jlevitas Geek Trainee

OK, did that. As it was installing it came up with a "found new hardware" notification. However, even after restarting my computer I still get the same message.

8. Sniper

That should have done it really, check your sound settings to make sure nothings muted.

under device manager do you have some devices listed with an explanation mark?

9. jlevitas

jlevitas Geek Trainee

When I try to access volume control I receive the message: "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices etc etc"

Under device manager both the multimedia audio controller and ethernet controller have yellow exclamation marks. I'm guessing this isn't good news.

10. Sniper

11. jlevitas

jlevitas Geek Trainee

I followed your instructions and reinstalled the drivers in that order and still get the message "The audio driver files do not support your computer software" when I try to run the audio drive, even when I download it from Download Dell Dimension 3000 ADI Audio Driver Driver for Windows XP - Softpedia.

12. jlevitas

jlevitas Geek Trainee

Ah success! I uninstalled the multimedia audio controller, then selected add new hardware. It worked this time around. Must have been due to the installation of the drivers in the correct order. Thanks a lot for your time and help!