No sounds from LCD displayes speakers

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by jari, May 18, 2006.

1. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hi,
    I have philips 170T LCD display which works both as a PC monitor and as a TV. The problem is that if I use it as a TV the audio works but when I plug in in combuter (as it is now) and plug the audio cable no sound come out from the speakers. Windows XP does detect that there is something connected because it changed the audio device type automatically in the volume control panel. Before I started using this monitor I had just a regular speakers which worked fine.
    Any ideas what I could try? I contacted philips customer care but no help from there.

Thanks!

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the reason for this is simple, the tv thinks you've plugged in an external speaker system, so it has automatically disabled the speakers on the tv, it is the way the speaker socket is degigned, probably the easiest solution would be to get some external speakers and use a simple double adaptor plugged into the tv then external speakers and pc connected to the doludle adaptor

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

If it's got audio input then the monitor shouldn't cut audio to the speakers, especially if it's to be used as a computer monitor with speakers. This is going to sound strange but:
    You're sure you're plugging the audio cable into the speaker port right? Not the headphone port - if you do that the PC will most likely cut the audio to the speakers as it thinks headphones are being used.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, thats what i meant

good explanation Matt

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Does your TV provides a wire with its speaker? or you are using an a/v wire to input the audio from computer? Because usually a video pin is bit bigger in size than a audio pin..... which can be a problem as well added to what others said.

6. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Yep it's in the right port, though I don't know what the third port is for, so I tested it as well. Anyway I'm sure it's plugged correctly because the colors match and I remember were the old speakers used to be.

Thank you all for the replies!

The monitor came with an audio cable and the manual shows how the cables (VGA, audio, power) should be connected when connecting to PC.

7. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Here's the picture from the monitors manual:

[​IMG]

Not that it's supposed to help much.... :)

8. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Isn't there anything I could try?

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Maybe try the cable you're using with something else, to make sure it's not the cable. Then if that works try running another input into the monitor (maybe a portable CD player or something).
    Post your results here.

10. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Hey good idea matt! I tested with portable CD player and no sounds... I've also tried earlier with another audio cable so it shouldnt be that either.

Hmm maybe one thing to note (perhaps irrelevant) is that the audio cable that came with the monitor has *thing* on the other end of it between the ends. Sorry, I wish I knew the english word for it but it looks like special cable because of that...

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Could you maybe post a picture pointing this 'thing' out?

12. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Will do, here:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Attached Files:

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

That's nothing to worry about (I think, I never did find out what that was all about...)
    It shouldn't change anything, I'm really not sure what's going on:
    It works with TV as audio.
    Doesn't work with that cable with PC or CD player etc...
    Doesn't with other cables with PC CD player etc...
    The only thing I can think of is that the micro-switch inside the jack socket is busted, that's what would cut the audio from the TV and let the input use the speakers instead of the TV.
    Actually...
    Have you looked on the monitors control menu to see if there's a way of switching the audio on there?

14. jari

jari Geek Trainee

That's all correct. Yeah I've tried looking for options but the only 'switch' option is between TV/video/DVD/PC display modes and of course the PC is the currently selected one. There is also volume control which is set high enough.

15. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Is there anything else I could try? Some windows XP setting perhaps?
    Could changing the hardware acceleration help?

16. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Do you have any other audio device? like a mini system or a walkman or a IPod or anything which has an audio port in it. Try using that to input voice and see if you can hear any voice.

17. jari

jari Geek Trainee

Thanks but Matt555 already suggested that.

18. jari

jari Geek Trainee

I plugged my old speakers and they started to work immediately... But the monitor's speakers just wont work.

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

THat leads me to think there's a problem with the monitor itself, as the cables are fine and the computer is fine.

When you plug the monitor into the computer does the TV audio cut out?

20. jari

jari Geek Trainee

I cannot really answer yes or no because you have to select which mode to use between TV, PC, AV etc.