No video, mobo broken? ....Help Please.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by L40, Jun 20, 2010.

1. L40

L40 Geek

I built my PC about 4-5 years ago and recently the small fan on the mobo took a dump and the PC was being erratic so I did a compressed air cleaning of the whole thing and it was filthy dirty. I then tried to fix the fan and now the PC will boot up but I get zero signal to the monitor. I want to replace the mobo but I do not know what will be compatible with the components I already have. The mobo is an Asus A8 N-E what board can I buy to replace it ? Thanks in advance. - A:cool:

2. L40

L40 Geek

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The A8N-E is based on the nForce 4 Ultra chipset, so anything with that will work fine as a drop-in replacement. The problem is that the CPU is a Socket 939, which is no longer what AMD uses for its Athlon, Sempron and Phenom/Phenom II processors. You can probably look around and find one used for fairly cheap these days.

But, first, what I would do is make sure that your cards, particularly the video card is secured in the slot and that all power connectors to the motherboard and video card are hooked up. Failing that, clear CMOS (with the system off, set the Clear CMOS jumper to the clear position--consult the motherboard manual for the location--wait 10 seconds and set the jumper back to the original position). If you can't find the Clear CMOS jumper, you can remove the battery for 10 seconds and see if you can boot up once the battery is replaced.

4. L40

L40 Geek

Big B thank you. I think I am going to upgrade the whole thing. new mobo, cpu, and memory...