Noisy as hell

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by IGDIABLO, Nov 26, 2003.

1. IGDIABLO

IGDIABLO Geek Trainee

In my system i have 1 intake fan, 1 exhaust fan, both 3200 rpm, a cpu cooler fan abviously which runs at 5300 rpm, and a power supply fan which is really quiet, i think the main problem is the cpu fan and the case fans, they generate allot of noise, i dont know weather to just ignore it and eventually my ears will become immune to it, or get quieter fans,

some feedback please

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You can get larger fans that spin at slower speeds, yet move the same or more amount of air. You could also build/buy a fanbus to control the speeds. 3000RPM isn't that bad, but the CPU fan could be replaced with something quieter, and likely larger.

3. Thomthus

Thomthus Geek Trainee

fan controllers. round 20 squid for a nice L.E.D one

4. Thomthus

Thomthus Geek Trainee

turn the rpm down when not playin games. works a treat ;)

5. misunoko

misunoko Geek Trainee

Noise WHO CARES i have bout 7 80mm fans and then a chip set fan and a duel fan on my cpu heatsink and a fan on my GFX card it sounds like a aeroplane when you turn it on and all the lights in my house dimm but i have my subs so loud my computer is blue tacked to the desk so it dont vibrate off LMAO but i guess to sum people noise is a problem ;) oil your fans or sumthin

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, some fans are just loud from the speed they run at. 6000 or 7000 RPM fans are very loud. Noise doesn't bother me, if I have the right fans in there. I've had a few I've kept as back ups that are pretty loud just from the speed they run at.

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The general rule of thumb with fans is the bigger the quieter, because they require less RPMs to push the same (or greater) amount of air than smaller fans. Smaller fans do have their uses, but you have to go into it knowing that smaller fans have to run at higher RPMs (and therefore are noisy) to move an adequate amount of air.

8. misunoko

misunoko Geek Trainee

blah blah blah blarby bla bla who care bout noise as long as its cool :D ahahaha

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You might not, but other people may... IMO, if you've got to have a crapload of fans just to keep your system cool, you need to look into some better heatsinks or more exotic ods of cooling (H2O, LN2, etc).

Also, misunoko: stop spamming.

10. misunoko

misunoko Geek Trainee

i have a water cooling kit but i can never get around to installing it and to be quite honest it scares the hell out of me no know there is water flowing around my system i found that cooling is an art and if you do it the rite way then you can have a well cooled system with minimal fans

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I know the feeling. I never got the nerve to install my WC setup and ended up selling it. I could never get my pump water tight and eventually just said forget it. I'm using a CPU that's near the top speed of it's core and it's still working fine. It looks cool, but when you can get a nice heatsink for a good price, water cooling is only for the extreme OC freak that has to have the absolute last MHz out of the system...actually that would be those who use phase-change or liquid nitrogen.

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I HAVE THE ULTIMATE NOISE CURE!
    1) get a nice, loud, clear set of speakers.
    2)get a good sound card if not already have
    3)pump it up.

...or just get larger fans

right now i have 2-80mm
    1-90mm
    2-70mm
    and four 50mm placed around my case.

i saw something i froget where...it was like sound deadening foam-you just place it around the case and PRESTO (not that easy but who cares)
    i doubt that this magical foam crud would work but its worth a shot.

personally i like the high pitched whine of my fans...

13. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Call me loco, but I actually enjoy the white noise that my chassis fans produce. As a musician, I have Tinnitus almost constantly. The soothing drone of the fans really helps to mask the deafening ringing that accompanies silence.

14. Torito

Torito Geek Trainee

I know the feeling of having a noisy case but the trick is when you buy a heatsink and fan look for the noise level (DBA) for example I bought this fan and heatsink for a friend Thermaltake this one is very quiet.I also bought him this case in silver color Raidmax Scorpio 868 it has one side panel fan and two rear fan and they are very quiet except for the side panel intake fan wich has grill and since is an air intake fan it makes a tiny bit of noise because of the grill but is very little noise.Hope this helps you

15. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I have the case Torito is talking about, and on the box it says it can take 7 80mm fans.... :eek: i have 2 in the back...where the hell is the room for 5 more?? okay i guess 3 more cuz maybe the side panel one with the grill counts..but still i don't see where more fans would fit. If anyone knows plz tell me because i have more fans which would be a nice adittion to the system. :good:

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I can see a possibility for 5 on the case itself: 2 in the rear, 1 on the side panel, and two in the front. The others they might be counting are the ones in the power supply, as some have two.

17. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

18. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Thats actually a bigger case

The case in Harrack's link is a bigger one than the one i mentioned. and yet somehow mine mentions 7 fans...weird, anyway how can i install 2 in the front? Cuz i have 2 spare fans and i would want to put them to use. thanx 4 the help. :chk:

19. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Without actually owning that case, I'd have to say it's probably got at least 1 in the bottom front, as is typical with pretty much every case I've seen. You'll probably have to remove your hard drives to install the fan(s).

20. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I've read that currently the Silent X fans are the best ones around, if you plan to change your fans that is :) but are quite expensive.

Link here http://www.silenx.com/