Nooooooooooooooo!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by megamaced, Dec 24, 2005.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

You all know how much i adore Opera! Read this:

Opera has denied the latest takeover rumor spreading across the Internet, saying that it has not had approaches from Microsoft or anyone else.

Rumors surfaced on Friday that Microsoft is close to completing a takeover offer for the Norwegian browser vendor, having outbid Google.

"Our phones have been ringing off the hook," a representative for Opera said Friday. "But it's not true. We have not been bought, and we have not received any offers. It's just a rumor, like the Google rumor last week."

If Microsoft were to buy Opera it would effectively reduce the battle for browsers on Windows PCs to two contenders: Microsoft and the Mozilla Foundation.

Opera's market share has languished at less than 1 percent, compared with Firefox's 7.55 percent and Internet Explorer's 86.9 percent. However, Opera's mobile browser is installed on a growing number of mobile devices, and the company says that downloads of its desktop browser quadrupled after it launched the free version 8.5 in October.

If Microsoft takes over Opera - I'll do myself in......:)

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yes, one would guess that once they had it in their clutches, they would tout it as the most secure browser all the while ignoring development, letting security slip and adding a few proprietary touches of their own. It's not hard to imagine, since that's been their strategy with every bit of technology to this point, including Java, MS Office, even the Windows GUI itself.

When MS touches something, it's ruined forever. At least, as history has shown.

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Well, lets hope they stand firm and not give in.....

4. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

I'm so glad to hear this is a rumor. MS needs all the competition they can get.

5. Anti-Trend

[ot]
    What are you talking about? Who needs anything but MS/Windows/IE?!?[/ot]

6. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

[ot]I won't touch IE with a ten foot poll. :devilsdsd I swear, my computer thanked me when I discovered firefox. [/ot]

7. megamaced

I hope that was tounge-in-cheek! :rolleyes:

8. Anti-Trend

[ot]
    No, I really run Windows and use IE, you know, it's the status quo, everybody else uses it so I don't want to rock the boat... *tugs on collar* ...you know, Windows, outlook express and IE and all that...(that or Linux) LOOK, OVER THERE!!! *runs away*[/ot]

9. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hey, what the hell? Two contenders? What happened to netscape?? Wasn't netscape a very significant IE competitor just a few years back? Didn't netscape have like well over 10% share of users, maybe like 25% even?

10. Anti-Trend

Firefox is the successor to Netscape technology, i.e. the Gecko rendering engine.

11. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Back in the day yeah, Netscape was a sweet browser, but now it's pretty much dead. Of course, there is still many users and supporters, but now Firefox is here, i don't see many changing back to Netscape.

12. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Ok, just so i can appreciate how far it has fallen ... anyone know what their highest % usage was at any point and when that was? I remember 4 and a half years ago in this short little summer school class I had on web design, the teacher devoted equal time to discussing each of IE's and Netscape's peculiar quirks and responses to html code. I remember back then all the school comps had netscape navigator or communicator along with IE too. So it seemed like they had almost like 50% share of browsing ...

13. megamaced

Heres a very brief history lesson (which is probably wrong:D )

Mosiac was the first browser built around early 1990 - that formed into Netscape. So, Netscape once had a 100% market share. Microsoft came along with a browser based on Mosiac, and the rest is history!

AOL bought Netscape for a HUGE amount of money. Then AOL started losing money on Netscape, so they chucked out all the inhouse developers (which became Mozilla). Now Netscape is nothing more then a 'brand name'. In reality, Netscape died years ago - back in the communicator days.

14. blade002

blade002 Geek Trainee

I remember seeing a Documentary on Netscape something like 6 years ago, and although ive forgotten specific's, i do remember that the reason why they went under and left the scene was because Microsoft came and did something under their nose that pushed them under!

I wish i could remember details, but it stopped them from becoming as big as they could have been!.

The Microsoft empire is like the 3rd Reich in Computer terms. They have used their political and financial muscle to bring to the world the most widely used and the most inefficient and bloated OS ever!. Windows and everything associated with it is Pure Crap!.

I know im going to the Windows lovers giving me a bash here, but when Windows is all youve used for any length of time, then you really dont know any better!. I used the Amiga's OS for 10 years and ive used Windows for about 7, and im astonished as to how bad Windows truly is!.

Lets hope this really is just a rumour!. We simply do NOT need anymore from Microsoft!.

15. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

ugh, aol is so completely retarded -- in everything other than AIM, that is. Using the AOL internet service(s) and browser sounds more stupid than using IE, from as far as I can tell ... Am I right to be repulsed by AOL? I've never actually tried their stupid browser they keep trying to install with every new version of aim, nor have I ever had aol as my ISP, so I can't judge directly, only by their annoying ads and stuff. And even AIM isn't too good; i just use it cuz my friends do.

16. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

Yep you are right. And meet Trillian, by the way.

17. megamaced

I agree - AOL software is very similar to a virus! :D It clogs up your PC, slows it down dramatically, and displays ads wherever you go :D