Not detecting floppy or cd rom

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Syber, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Syber

Syber Geek Trainee

I am upgrading an old computer with a pa2013 MB and when i boot up i get a floppy failed error and then hit F1 to continue, it starts win98 but then, i cannot access my A-drive or my CD-rom. What should i do?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Check your cables to make sure they're plugged in and plugged in the right way. The red edge of the ide cable is right beside the power connector. On the floppy, it's just the opposite: the red edge of the ribbon cable faces away from the power connector.

3. Syber

Syber Geek Trainee

Yup, checked it again - it is correct. Also bought a new floppy drive, but still get 'floppy disk(s) fail (40)' error. I am not sure if the mobo is bad or something else?

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well I don't think there is any standard for floppies, it can be one way or the other.

check the board connectors also, not just the drive connectors.

As for the cd-rom, make sure the jumper on it is set to the right position. (along with the hdd because if you have your cd-rom as a slave and a hdd as a master on the same controller, sometimes the hdd has to be set to "master with slave" instead of just "master")

5. coonass

coonass Geek Trainee

Did you only check to see if your cables were installed right or did you replace them. I have found that ribbon cables will go bad and have to replace mine twice on some components, (especially if you tinker inside the machine often like I do).
    Also double check the settings in your Bios, this is the first place I look. If thats not it, your IDE controllers could be bad, although both being bad simutaniously is odd. Hope this helps. Lee:)