Nvidia GTX 295

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Ferg, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Hey guys, been a while - super busy.

Have got one these on pre-order from play.com
    Play.com (UK) : BFG nVidia GeForce GTX 295 / 1792MB DDR3 / PCI Express 2.0 / Graphics Card : Computing - Free Delivery

I got in while it was still at 400 squid which is nice, the main reason I'm upgrading is to run GTA IV as smoothly as possible.

Does anyone else reckon at the moment that for 400 squid (delivered) flat you cannot get a better card for this purpose?

I have like 2 more days while I can still cancel and put the money to a different setup.

One other thing is that BFG is now following eVGA apparently and providing a trade-up program for their cards for 100 days after purchase, so may be able to get the 'OC2' versions they are of course inevitable to have in the pipeline.

TIA!

EDIT: I'm aware My system doesn't meet the min specs for the card (having only a 600w PSU) but the rigs they came to the minimum 680w conclusion on I'm betting were running much beefier quad cores, so hopefully all will be ok.

2. luke992006

luke992006 Geek Trainee

What the card says it need for a psu is not meant to be taken literally, it just recommends at least that large of a psu, it does not draw that much. You could easily run a gtx 295 on a 500w system. The important thing to remember is that wattage is not as important as the amperage on the Rail(s).

The gtx 295 is a good card, personally i do not like bfg, i would much rather xfx or evga but that is quite a good price. That should easily run gta 4 max with a good steady FPS.It is quite overboard for that game though, a 4870 would have done the job.

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Yeah I know its maybe a little OTT but i plan on keeping it for a good long while!

I'd never go ati, not after the 3 series driver fiasco. + they are still much buggier on gta at the moment - just put the 181.20's on for my 8800 and its running the best it ever has - can't wait to ramp up those settings!