Odd Wi-Fi connection problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by daffy_dowden, Jul 7, 2004.

1. daffy_dowden

daffy_dowden Geek Trainee

Hi all,

I've got a question. In our house we recently installed a wireless network. We have a linkSys router (WAG54G) and 2 linksys pcmcia cards for 2 identical laptops. however 1 laptop runs windows Xp home and one runs windows 2000pro. Now the odd part. The laptop running windows XP always has poor signal strength and a lower speed connection to the router than the laptop running windows 2000 even when positioned in the same place, this occurs even when both laptops are not accessing the network at the same time. I've varied the positions where i connect to the gateway and in all cases the laptop with windows 2000 claims to have a better signal strength and faster connection.

I also have a wireless router for my house at Uni but this time a 3com one and people connecting to the router all using windows Xp experience poor connections and signal strength, i thought this was because of a brick wall dividing those who connect to the router, but i'm now wondering whether this is because they all connect using windows XP.

In both cases the security features are turned off, and on the 3com router access is granted depending on whether their MAC address is on the safe list or not. Could this be causing part of the problem?

Does anyone else have this problem? if they do can they tell me if there's a registry hack or patch for Xp that solves this??

Cheers
    Rich

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

There is an update on Windows Update (KB826942) which adds security features regarding Wi-Fi, you might wanna check if it's installed.