OMG I need help! Really weird problem at bootup

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DaRuSsIaMaN, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hi everyone ... I'm horrified kind of. Just now I started getting a bootup error. After it identifies my hard drives, it says

Warning!! CPU have over speed

And it just stops there. The part earlier in the bootup sequence which checks the cpu and memory seems incorrect. It says

Main Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1150MHz

But I have an 1800+, so shouldn't it say 1533MHz? I feel like an idiot right now but I honestly don't really remember what it normally says on that line when I boot up. 1150 doesn't look right, i guess 1533 looks right, but I honestly don't really remember.
    No, I didn't change anything in the bios ...

2. Zimmerru

Zimmerru Geek Trainee

Was teh computer working fine prior to this? Did it just happen when you went to turn the computer back on? First thing would be to clear the BIOS if it continues to do it. Theres a clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard somewhere. If that does not fix it, check the manual and see if the CPU speed is set in the BIOS or on the motherboard. If thats no avail then your motherboard may have gone bad. I've seen a few ASUS motherboards do this when they go bad.

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

It worked!! Somehow! I'm soo happy haha. Thanks man! I cleared the CMOS, and when it first rebooted, it showed the same thing about the processor (1150MHz). But this time the error said something about default values loaded. I went into the BIOS, left all the settings related to CPU alone (no OC'ing or anything), changed a few non-essential settings, and after I was done, it booted up normally! This time it identified the processor correctly -- it said AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

That seems arbitrary... why did clearing the CMOS seem to help? And why was it only after I played around a little in the BIOS first? I didn't even change any settings related to the processor.

Also, you asked if this happened completely randomly. Actually, it did not. Maybe these things are connected. Fairly recently (a couple weeks?) my computer developed a problem of not being able to shut down, nor even hibernate. Whenever it does, it just powers itself back on again. It's as if my shut down command now equals restart. Even when I hold down the power button on the chassis, it first turns off but then begins to boot up again after a second. Really weird. So to combat this, I started flicking the black power switch in the back, on the PSU, after it shuts down and before it has a chance to turn on again. So this incident happened the next time I turned my computer on after forcefully shutting it off in this manner.

4. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Anyone know why that incident happened? And why clearing the CMOS seemed to help? I'm now afraid to shut off my computer in case it happens again; I put it on standby instead :x: Should I be afraid?

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yes, will try to find out why

Edit:
    no, how will you know it's back to 1533 without using something like PCWizard

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i don't know how or why, but are you 200% sure the system bus is running at 133Mhz instead of 100Mhz, please double check it

7. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Well, Everest shows that everything is as it should be, as in the screenshot. Look at the very top, where it says CPU type. In the parentheses, it says 11.5x133, and the 133 indicates the bus, right? What you said makes sense, I thought something along those lines too initially... Hmm, when I went into BIOS the last time (right before it started working again), it did say 133 in there also. I'll check again just to make absolutely certain again later. But yeah I still have no idea why the problem happened and then went away either ... could it be connected to me turning off the computer via the switch in the back??

Attached Files:

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, but my mathamatics is not good, but 11.5 * 133 = 1529.5 & because of intels trickery that = 1533
    no

Edit: Everest or PCWizard: either one or the other, they both display important info

9. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Okay well it's been kind of a while ... I'm out of state now visiting g/f heh heh. But before I left I checked it real fast, and the fsb was showing as 133 in bios as well. And my computer seemed to reset fine. But I switched it off again as before, using the power switch at the the back. We'll see if it continues working normally or if the problem comes back again when I come back and start using it again heh.

... yeah so I still have no clue why it happened in the first place ...

10. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Argh! It's doing it again! I shut it off using the power button at the back. Then when I turned it back on it had the exact same message about my processor as stated above and the exact same error. Does this mean that my motherboard is dying??

11. AMANDA223

AMANDA223 Geek Trainee

Well my friend also have a asus motherboard and she have a same kinda prblem goto bios andcheck the c.pu speed and i think your mother board is not working properly....

12. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Okay figured it out. I got help on other forums, and it turned out my battery was dead. Apparently that was causing the bios to reset itself every time I shut it off, and this then led to the problem. Just fyi in case anyone else encounters this in the future. Simply replacing the battery solved it like a charm.