Opinions wanted !!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by harrack52, Jan 22, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I bought a week and a half ago a soltek 75drv5-c which works just fine.

Before buying it I called the store and told them I wanted an Asus A7V333 but they told me asus was the worst company for amd processors because they were unstable and hardly anything worked with those boards, as opposed to being the best company for intel processors. Plus they told me that the 75drv5-c was just overwhelmingly great in stability, performance and overclocking ability(which I don'T really mind since I'm not an overclocker but I might do it someday). My board works just fine but I just wanted to have some thoughts on that. At the time the asus was 165 cad as opposed to 155cad for the soltek but they changed the asus price to 135 cad not long after I bought it, I'm just wondering if they wanted to make a quick 20 bucks or if their suggestion was good.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Asus is very good. All I can say is that, like any company, Asus does produce some boards that get out and aren't worth crap. Maybe not everyone in the series, but that store could've gotten a bad batch of them. It happens with every company. If you're serious about overclocking, Abit is an excellent choice.

The store, I can't really say. If they're bad and they can't send them back, they may have dropped the price to get rid of them ASAP.

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

Actually that's kind of funny considering almost every review I've read is claiming the Asus A7N8X is the best nForce 2 based board out and the nForce 2 is the best performing AMD solution.

Apart from that obviously all companies have problems and while Asus has had a few cards with problems I think generally they're considered one of if not the most stable card maker in the business.

I haven't tried the A7V333 but considering that's what almost all of the local system makers use here for kt333 based solutions I can't see them having too big of a problem. These same companies quite bringing in Abit based boards unless requested due to high RMA's they had so if the board has a problem I can't see them stocking it.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

well I was surprised to because I had read about the A7V333 and there were no real issues on this board apart from the jumpers which you can put in jumperless mode anyway www.motherboards.org had given it a great score making it a editor's choice, soltek had quite a lower score but only because of the lack of features which does not bother me.

I also read that the A7V333 had problems with certain RAM, that you had to use specific brands of ram, maybe that'S what the store was talking about.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If that's the only issue, that's easily gotten around by being selective on what RAM ya get.

I'd be curious to know why they're even carrying a brand if they think that badly of it.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

that's true, they have a whole bunch of asus boards too and only one soltek, the one I have.
    their site is www.ordigros.com I don't know if you speak french but you can go just to see what asus boards they have, it's under "listes de prix" and "format pdf"

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Gee, they seem to have a lot of AMD-based boards made by Asus. *refrains from making French jokes*
    Makes perfect sense:rolleyes:

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well we still pronounce it the english way so it'S okay :)

when they suggested me the soltek board I told myself they were honest because the asus was 10 $ more, now I wonder. Like I said my board still works very well I had absolutely no problem with it, do you know anything about soltek I should know ? or about the board I have ?
    I know it has less features like no raid connectors, the onboard sound is not as good, not as much usb ports, no onboard lan but I don'T need all this because if I wanted good sound I'd buy a sound card, I do not need raid , I do not have any usb devices, I still have 2 ports which is fine by me and I already have a network card.

9. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Plus, USB PCI cards are cheap, and you can get up to four ports on just one card.