P.W.Steal.Banker virus

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by howardbobo5, Dec 6, 2004.

1. howardbobo5

howardbobo5 Geek Trainee

Hello all,

I have a computer with windows XP. I have a virus that norton is unable to remedy. P.W.Steal.Banker is the name of the virus and the only info I have been able to find on it is a Dutch web site that I can not read or translate with my pc. I would appreciate any info or source of info that anyone might have to help me dispose of this virus. Thanks in advance.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

3. howardbobo5

howardbobo5 Geek Trainee

I have found more info on P.W.Steal.Banker.B:
    This is a Trojan Horse that attempts to steal financial information. It also has limited backdoor functionality.

Type: Trojan Horse
    Infection Lenght: 10,416 bytes

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent symantec antivirus products, including the symantec antivirus and norton antivirus lines.

Disable system restore(windows Me/xp
    upsate virus definitions
    Restart computer in safe mode or VGA mode
    Reverse changes made to the registr, and then restart computer
    Run a full system scan and delete all files detected as P.W.Steal.Banker.B

I have not tried to uninstall Norton and replace it with AVG yet. I thought it would be simpler to get rid of the virus and then make changes to my virus software. I was wrong. When I tried to update my virus definitions I recieved an error screen stating that there is a conflict between windows and symantec. I also am not sure what reverse the changes in registry mean. In what registry and how will I know what has been changed. I really have no clue when it comes to computers, simple tasks for most can be a headache for myself. Is it difficult to fix this problem or would it be easier for me to try and uninstall norton and download AVG with my extremely slow computer...

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Remove Norton from your computer, download and install AVG.

Special Attention Needed Here:
    Take your Norton Anti-Virus CD or Norton Security CD walk out side and find a gravel based drive / pavement, or pile of hardened chippings. now place the CD so the shiny side is touching the floor, now try using it as a pair of shoes whilst going from one end of the pavement or drive to the other..

repeat several times.

:good: :D

Norton Anti-Virus is terrible, it's buggy and only really removed Viruses, not enough trojans, rats or worms.

*note you should only ever download norton anti-virus as a last resort... to make your life living hell..

*note obviously if the CD is not yours, don't do as mentioned above.

Also download Sygate Personal Firewall Version 5.6 it's a fantastic firewall and will help prevent against trojans sending or receiving data, or someone trying to remotely connect to your machine via one.

Also download: Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster, and use Mozilla FireFox as your browser. Then you are reasonably safe.

Hope this helps.

5. howardbobo5

howardbobo5 Geek Trainee

I have come to know that having Norton was a mistake, but how do I go about getting this trojan out of my system... Can I do this before I get rid of Norton My computer is so slow now I'd like to get rid of the trojan before I try any downloading.

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

You have either anger management issues, or have a slight tendency to take very, very drastic actions... ;)

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Both

I very much doubt that it is JUST that one virus, i suspect it is either mutiple viruses or tones of spyware.

Either way download these and run them: (make sure they are updated):
    Spybot Search And Destroy
    Spyware Blaster
    Adaware SE Personal
    AVG Grisoft

Once you have all these downloaded, installed and updated reboot your computer and boot into safe mode, then run each program individually except spyware blaster. Make sure after each spyware scan both with adaware and spybot that you make sure you have removed all entries.

Once you have found and removed all variants of the virus, i recommend that you reboot again, boot into safe mode and run a Full Scandisk, then after that is complete run Disk Defragmenter. Once that is finished reboot, boot to windows make sure Spybot S&D is updated along side Adaware SE Personal, then do a full scan using both these programs and remove any spyware detected.

With Spyware S&D if you can't seem to get rid of something called DSO Exploit which it is detecting, do not worry, its just a bug in the program.

8. howardbobo5

howardbobo5 Geek Trainee

What is adaware SE personall... Do I also need to use the sygate personal firewall that has been suggested or do these serve the same purpose...

9. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

A firewall protects your computer from network-based attacks, anti-spyware software removes undesirable software, and anti-virus software protects you against worms, trojans and virii. So, you need all three in order to be (mostly) protected. Please check out out Networking & Security FAQ for more info.

10. howardbobo5

howardbobo5 Geek Trainee

I tried downloading AVG but I either loose my internet connection or when it is downloaded and I try to open it I get a message that some of the files are corrupt and I should download a fresh copy. Any suggestions on how to deal with this. I downloaded and installed AVG on this computer with no problems, I rn spybot search and destroy and and found many pieces of spyware that I have now removed. I appreciate everyones help so far, and would appreciate any advice on my latest problem. Should I still use outlook express on my computer...