P111 Processor base

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Medman, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Medman

Medman Geek Trainee

I just installed an additional P111 1.3GHZ processor in my server and when I went to boot there was only one processor showing. I took off the cover and saw the heat sink clip had come off. Upon further investigation I saw that the plastic "hook" on the base of the processor had sheared off. Is there any way to replace the plastic base of a P111 processor plug in a motherboard so the clip has something to latch onto??

Thanks.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The only way I can think of is to swap the clip with a 3 hole clip on either end.
    Of course, you might wanna make sure that CPU is still alive before hand.

Off the top of my head, CoolerMaster comes to mind as a company with fairly inexpensive coolers with the 3 hole clips on some of their heatsinks. ThermalTake is another with some of their Dragon and other 'Orb' style coolers. Thermalright also does--but their coolers may be a bit of overkill for a P3.

The other thing to watch out for in the P3's above 1GHz that are Tualtin cored, is that the ones with 512k L2 cache are the only ones with SMP enabled. The 256k L2 cache'd variants will not work in SMP at all---and may be the reason you're not seeing it.
    Windows XP Pro (if you have home---that's a big problem right their) Should detect it right away.
    Windows NT and 2k will need to be reinstalled before the extra CPU will be seen.

Didn't see this earlier, but welcome aboard!:)

3. Medman

Medman Geek Trainee

PIII Broken Base Solved

Thanks for the detailed and innovative response. But, I took the chicken way out.

The server is a new one from Dell and it was within the 30 day purchase time. I called them and they said "no problem...we'll have a new motherboard out to you tomorrow".

The next day, an installer came out and installed it. It's running fine now.

Beats having to jury-rig a CPU and heat sink.

Thanks again for the response

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hey, if it's still under warranty, I don't blame you for taking advantage of it. (I would)