Partition Failed

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Thamizhinpan, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Thamizhinpan

Thamizhinpan Geek Trainee

My computer contains 2 hard disks (80 GB, 40 GB). And I installed 2 operating systems (XP & ME) on it.
    Unfortunately when I was reinstalling, Windows ME on 40GB disk, I saw an error message about some cropped files and Win Me setup going to fix it. So I agree that.:mad:

But after Window ME & XP was reinstalled, I couldn’t able to access all files on the 80GB hard disk. And 2 partitions join as one on the same disk and I lost all files, placed on those partitions. So computer gone too slowly. I think, boot sectors of disk had collapsed. So I repartitioned entire disk with the help of Windows XP Disk management Tools as 1 Primary and 1 Extended contains 4 logical drives (FAT 32 file system).

But when I format these partitions on windows XP, progress of formatting gone 100% normally; But “Unable to complete formatting successfully” message appears on last! But we can able to access that drives on XP. But I can’t access it on DOS or ME.

So I repartitioned that disk on win 98 DOS. But it shows only 12GB only. So I couldn’t able to partition as I wish. So I put whole disk as 1 partition; and dos formatted whole disk (about 76 GB) without any trouble. But I know using a large amount space as single drive will make many troubles.
    Now I have only one idea to over come this trouble. But I can’t sure, it’ll give success. That Defrag entire disk; then trying to partition. But I haven’t hope on that method and it’ll take a long time.

Do you have any ideas to solve this trouble?

This is an urgent problem to me; because I can’t able to access my computer smoothly now.:O
    So please reply as soon as possible.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

some things are not quite correct, so, please re post your question after i correct some inaccuracies
    DOS can only address (see) 2 Gb using & is only compatible with FAT, however, i suspect DOS is not really creating any partitions

NTFS is much more secure than FAT32 & WinMe should never be able to access the net, as far as i'm concerned XP shouldn't be allowed on the net because it is insecure & unstable, but, that's your choice, i personally wouldn't trust XP to make any partition changes, when i used XP i also used Acronis Partition Expert which is now Acronis Disk Director Suite 10

XP by default can only access upto 137Gb HDD space & is not compatible with SATA HDDs, but, you can make XP see more space
    as your probably aware, each HDD can only have a maximum of 4 primary partitions or upto 3 primary & 1 extended partition with (according to M$) upto 128 logical partitions within the extended partition
    no, you can't partition a formatted HDD, first you partition a HDD then format any or all partitions then you can run defrag on a partition

BTW: partition magic from symantec i crap & many people on HWF have suffered data loss thank to PM (me included)

please repost your question

3. Thamizhinpan

Yaa, I agree some I did one mistake on my thread. I have mentioned
    But now I can realize that’s wrong; because I can able to access drives on ME also. But one extra drive placed on Win ME! But I can’t able to access it. It is complicating my problem more. But in dos I can’t able to address primary drive.
    Note: I mean the dos which placed windows 98 boot disk; Not MS DOS operating system.
    I’m using win ME for some special programs & games. So I don’t want to connect net on ME.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

make things easier for us both by only connecting 1 HDD at a time, presumably, each HDD boots
    • 80Gb HDD = XP
    • 40Gb HDD = WinMe
    or have you setup a dual boot system ?

:good: because DOS & the original version of Win95 couldn't see FAT32 partitions, only Win95SE, Win98 98SE & Me from the Win9x family could access FAT32 & none of them could access NTFS
    :good: personally i wouldn't let XP have net access, but, that's me, i'm paranoid

BTW: you will find that reinstallation of the OS will be quicker and easier if you backup your OS CD to another partition of either HDD, then you could just boot from a floppy & format either HDD & reinstall the OS from say E:

BTW: i'm confusing myself here, what is the problem again, sorry ?

5. Thamizhinpan

I have setup dual bootable system on 40GB. But 80 GB is also connected as a slave drive.

6. Thamizhinpan

At last, I found the wrong.
    By my experience, I think Windows XP Service Pack 2 may be a reason for it.
    Because before I had tried to reinstall, I used to Windows XP Service Pack 1.
    But I installed Service Pack 2 on re installation processes.
    Then I faced many troubles, that I have already told above.:(
    Now I reinstalled Win XP SP1 again.
    No one can't believe that!...:eek: My computer works correctly without any trouble.
    So I think, Windows XP Service Pack 2 was a reason for lost of my data & my Time.:mad:
    Just for Joke::chk:
    If I had lived on US or UK, I received more than 100,000$ as compensation from Bill Gates.:doh:

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it is not necessary to install SP1 & SP2, SP2 makes all the changes that SP1 makes plus applies
    well i live in UK & it ain't that good here

also, consider slipstreaming SP2 into your XP CD, then you can just install from your XP SP2 CD, so, you never need to reapply updates you've already applied

BTW: a slipstreaming guide is here