PC does start, display blank.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by killadroid, Jul 4, 2005.

1. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

I've found some similiar problems, but those haven't provided solution for me. My pc's specs can be seen in my signature.

Day is saturday-evening, I'm leaving from home just to run in forests with my airsoft-gun and some other armed people. I shut the computer down just before I leave and everything worked fine. I left in stand by-mode. Few hours pass, and my mom went down to my room and shut down the monitor, firewall-pc and dsl-modem.

Again some time passess and my sister tried to start my pc (to operate the scanner). She put the pc on normally, but the monitor was blank. In fact, the monitor went into stand by-mode, just like it would do when it's connected to pc and pc would be off. When she gave up waiting the computer to start up, she pressed the power-trigger in the pc's front panel for a few seconds that the machine would shut down and after shutting down the computer she left my room.

At ~2:00 (GMT +2, night) I arrive back home. I go directly sleeping and no-one tells me about the problem with my pc.
    In the Suday morning I wake up due to my brother that has paid a visit. He asks me about some Visual Basic project and I try to start my pc. When I notice the pc wont turn on I start doing some troubleshooting. I tried the following secondary parts in case that some of the primary hardware had broken: Monitor, PSU, Graphics Card and all the possible options with memory sticks. (By the way, when I bought my pc:s parts one of my memory sticks was already in the shop broken.)

Today I've tried to search the internet for some help, but I couldn't find any. I've tried also another power cord in another room, to ensure that the pc gets enough power. I've also tried to press Caps Lock-button and it doesn't respond.

Hope you can help me.
    Thanks in advance! :good:

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Hi, the next thing I would suggest is try and take it to your local computer store to see if they can fix it. But from reading your post it seems you have tried quite a few things but not trying a different motherboard or trying the components in another computer.

3. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

Taking the computer to nearest computer shop (read: only shop within 80kilometers) would be in itself too expensive :/. They take 25-30 euros to only see if there is any problem, and then fixing problem will cost ~60 euros. Plus all new parts.

Trying a different motherboard in my pc is just not possible before I get my new one. I ordered new motherboard (ASUS A7V880) yesterday, so it should be brought to me in beginning of next week.

I have now tested my PSU in my sisters computer and it worked well. I'll test graphics card in another computer soon. The problem in testing these parts in another computers is that all of my family-members PCs aren't new-enough, and there aren't really people nearby who could loan their new computers to me.

Oh, and the hard disk worked well in other computer as well.

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Have you tried clearing the BIOS?

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Make sure all your jumpers are connected, as well as anything else like molex connectors etc.

6. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

I have took the BIOS battery off and put it again in place, that didn't help.

All jumpers seem to be correctly placed.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Shoot, it's too bad you don't have anyway of testing the motherboard anywhere else because it's most certainly the problem here. If you get desperate you could simply rebuild the whole computer just to make sure it's all set up correctly but I'm holding out on the mobo being the issue at hand.

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh, and in rare cases leaving the CMOS battery out overnight can actually solve some probs, though I highly doubt this will work it's at least worth a shot.

9. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

I've ended into the same solution here - new motherboard. Next Monday I should be getting a new one to test.

I'll give a shot for that leave-bios-battery-out-for-a-night-trick too.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay, what model are you getting? One to test or are you actually buying a new one to use perminantly.

11. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

And also, when you take out the battery, make sure the computer is unplugged, if it isn't, it won't clear.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

When in doubt never do anything hardware related with the computer on and plugged in.

13. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Quite a good point. And also, while you may not need to leave the battey out over night you will for about a minute.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

He already tried the CMOS battery out for a min. idea but that didn't work so then the desperate measure is to leave it overnight;)
    BTW DJ. Tiesto has some pretty sweet music out:good:

15. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

I bought ASUS A7V880, and I'm going to replace the old one with it permanently.

And of course, my pc was totally unplugged while taking out the bios battery. I'm going to take it out again for some hours now.

I agree to that Exfoliate! :cool:

16. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I was just making sure, it is one of those little things you can easily forget.

17. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

Well, now the battery is out, set your timers! ;)

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hey no pron Max, good that someones checking up on things:good:, Congrats killadroid, you've just purchased one of the best nForce 2 mobo's out there:2cool4u:, nice mate (the box looks really sweet too;))

max12590 and barret88 like this.
  19. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

That's right, us newbies (that I represent here :D ) need you care-takers to ensure that no small things leave undone. Keep it up Max!

max12590 likes this.
  20. barret88

barret88 Geek Trainee

Thanks Exfoliate. I was getting a blank screen and not able to get to my bios setup on my hp pavilion for quite some time. I had left the battery out for maybe 5mins before and saw no change. So I read your post, left the battery out overnight and sure enough it worked like a charm! Thanks :good: