PC problems, motherboard?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by rimmer, Jun 7, 2007.

1. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Hi again, this must be my 3rd or 4th post now related to my PC. Anyway, I am still having shut down problems with my PC, even after putting in a thermaltake 600W toughpower, which was not cheap. I am VERY lucky if i even get to desktop without it shutting down now, but once when I did boot up, I checked speedfan and my voltages are still wrong, I believe this is the problem, but it can't be down to the power supply.

It reads the 12V one at 5.7V, and the 3.3V one at 1.60V. This is definitely the problem I think. It is NOT my power supply, RAM, or graphic card, as I have replaced them all now. I am no longer overclocking, so it can't be that.

And by the way, in my BIOS it lets me monitor my battery voltage and 5V voltage, but not 12V or 3.3V which are wrong according to speedfan.

Personally I blame my motherboard, which is an nFORCE 3 250 chipset one from ePoX, model 9NDA3I.

Anyone agree it must be the board? I can't really see it being the CPu or hard drive or optical drives.

Cheers

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try running Memtest86 for 3-8 hours. It'd be no good to replace the motherboard if the RAM is bad.

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

i cant even get past the black screen bit where it says "verifying DMI pool data" and checks ya drives n that, it may get past it n last 5-10 secs

argh, i hate PCs these days. And its not the ram, i tried replacin it with me dads, still problems. i also know nothings overheating, its jus gotta be the board

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Clear CMOS to start with a clean slate.

5. Kastang

Kastang Geek Trainee

I would also try to disconnect all not needed hardware from your computer when you boot up, It could be a failing piece of hardware that is causing this issue(Hopefully not your mobo). This includes all but one stick of ram, storage hard drive, PCI* cards (Other then Video.. Unless you have an onboard video you can use for testing, CD/DVD Rom Drive)

It is much easier to figure out what piece of hardware is NOT the problem then working from that.

6. rimmer

rimmer Geek

i`ve tried clearing cmos, swapping my card for my dad's fx5700, swapped ram with him, i`ve tried running the pc with just a hard drive - no luck, i then tried it with just a DVD writer drive, and booted up using the vista install CD, as it was loading setup files, it switched off. And I dont have any PCI devices no more, not for a while have i had any.

That crosses off:

power supply
    RAM
    Graphics card
    hard drive
    optical drive

That leaves the motherboard and the CPu.

I blame the board, because its an ePoX one, I'm not sure how good they are but it does have an nforce 3 250 chipset.

I cant see it being my athlon 64 3200+, I have only had it 2 and a half years, only overcklocking it to 2.41GHz from 2.0 stock. PS i have already tried not overclocking it.

7. rimmer

rimmer Geek

OK people, sorry about the double post but here is a video of my PC switching off,

As you can see on the first boot up, i load up using windows domain controller only or something, and luckily get to desktop, but as soon as I load speedfan.exe to show my voltages, it shuts off.

Second boot up, you see me try safemode, it shuts off as soon as it gets past loading the necessary files. (you hear me do a p**sed off sigh hehe)

3rd time lucky? not really. I try normal mode and it shuts off at welcome screen.

PS: everytime I boot up it wants to check my disk, but I keep cancelling it in the vid. The reason is, as soon as the countdown from 10 is done, it switches off, so your not missing anything there.

Hope this helps towards my theory of the board being dead

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you've pretty much exhausted everything else, so yeah, it's probably the motherboard. If you really wanted to, you could try everything outside the case, just for kicks, but, yeah, at this point it's time for a new motherboard.

9. rimmer

rimmer Geek

ok people, it was motherboard, however i have another problem, and i assume its my nice expensive power supply :( my 600W thermaltake toughpower cannot handle a DVD RW drive, and 4 hard drives in at once

It only boots up with 1 or 2 hard drives, 1 hard drive and a DVD RW drive, i get a black screen, and nothing happens, but only fans light up

time to return it

nope i fixed it :D