PC too slow

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sn1P3R, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Sn1P3R

Sn1P3R Geek Trainee

Hi, i would like some advice on how i can make my pc a bit faster, and also could you recommend what i should upgrade.
    Here is my system:

Packard Bell BV RC415
    Intel Celeron D CPU 3.46GHz, L2 Cache 512KB,
    1.536MB DDR2 533MHZ RAM,
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 256MB PCI-E.

I use my PC for games,internet, and music. Ive have searched google and found that my processor isn't much good. Does anyone know of a good quality processor at a good price that can handle the requirements of todays games?
    Thanks

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

one thing you could do is disable Windoze from resizing the swapfile / pagefile because Windoze thinks it knows best, however that isn't always the case

for normal use the swapfile should be set to twice the amount of installed / usable RAM

the CPU is not necessarily bad, however, your system manufacturer probably uses cheap components

Upgrade: your Celeron is basically a P4 with stuff disabled, so, i recommend you upgrade to a proper P4

3. Tech

Tech Padawan

Go through the usual stuff to speed up your sys, defrag, error checking, blah, blah, blah and also look at disabling services you don't need, DHCP, the alerter service or the messenger service for example. Of course you've gotta be a little careful here and you cant be lazy research wise. Check out the forums as there has been other threads about this subject too.

What motherboard do you have?

4. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

Hi mate what sorta budget you working on????

Dave :cool:

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

I haven't been researching computer upgrades for a while, but from the tidbits of info I've picked up here and there, it sounds like the Intel Core 2 Duo, or whatever they're called (the dual core processors), are very good. If your motherboard supports it, you could get one of those? If not, I guess I would second what donkey said about getting a proper P4.

6. Sn1P3R

Sn1P3R Geek Trainee

My mainboard is BV RC415 Packard Bell. I got my system info from tuneup utilities 2008.

I dont really have a budget yet until i know what i need to upgarde. I was thinking of upgrading to a core 2 Duo because i have read some good reviews about them. Ive just got to find out if my motherboard supports them otherwise its a new motherboard on my shopping list as well.

7. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Unfortunately I haven't a clue what socket that mobo would be. Never heard of anything like it..

But a Celeron D 3.46 with 512 cache is a Cedar Mill proc, so I believe you have actually got a socket 775 mobo. This is actually great for you, as you can throw any three of the Core 2 Duo level procs in there. B udget would be the E2200, then the E4X00 for a mid budget, then the E6XX0 series for the highest budget (and most performance.) Lucky for you that POS Packard Bell has got a 775. Luck :)

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i was going to disagree, but, on searching the net, i'm even more confused...help, my heads going to explode[ot]going to lie down[/ot]

9. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

/flex

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

finally found what i was looking for, & it was on wiki :doh:
    Source

11. Sn1P3R

Sn1P3R Geek Trainee

Yes, sorry it is a 775 mobo. But wow you know your stuff!

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

thankies, we do try