Pc Won't Boot

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Joost Hofstede, May 29, 2015.

1. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok, having that many OS's might be a big problem.. You must first set your DVD to boot first in the Bio's.. Make sure your hard is connected and power plugged in.. You said it booted the Linux live CD, So it will boot from DVD..
    Having five OS's is not going to work, You will have to remove Most of them. You will need something Like Partition Magic to try to either fix or repair the problem.. Or you can try Hiren's Boot CD.. Sounds like you have the
    Boot sector from linux and windows screwed up..And by having that many OS.s, where do you start..

2. Joost Hofstede

Joost Hofstede Geek Trainee

Hi, you asked how many partitions I have.
    I have several partitions, but (only) two OS's (Linux Mint & Windows XP). That's not so much, is it?
    Anyhow: this is all related to the HDD.

Yesterday you asked me: What do you want to do first?
    The (first) problem we are trying to solve is that booting from DVD does not work.

When I insert the Linux live CD in the DVD player and set the first boot option to be the DVD player, the PC tries to boot from the DVD and it tries to start Ubuntu in this case.
    After a while the PC crashes: the OS does not get loaded.
    When I insert the same live CD in another PC, it works perfectly, so the DVD is fine.

So booting from DVD does not work.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds like your DVD/CD-rom is Bad can you try another DVD player ? Or remove yours and try it in another computer to test it.. Do you have another boot cd, like a windows dvd or Hirens Boot CD ??

4. Joost Hofstede

Joost Hofstede Geek Trainee

Hi Ghostman,

Apologies for the late reply.
    I took the PC to a local computer shop.
    Turns out that it was a hardware problem after all. Not the CPU as I thought, but the motherboard. Some of the condensators on the motherboard were blown.
    I did not know how to see that, but in the shop they pointed it out to me. If you know it, you can see it.
    See http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200302/capblown_3.jpg

I have bought a new pc and luckily I kept my HDD as it was, so that I have been able to copy the data to the new HDD.
    Thanks for all the effort.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You mean Capacitor was blown,Motherboards can be a big problem, especially eMachines/Gateway... There seem to be made poorly and go out sooner than most..

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Agreed. Awhile back, there were some cheap, poorly copied capacitors that got out and into a lot of motherboards, even some big names. So, now, when you see companies pimping "Japanese solid capacitors", that's at least part of the reason why. Japan has a reputation for reliable electronics.