Phillips psc 605 on linux

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by ninja fetus, Jun 15, 2004.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I just bought a Phillips PSC 605 sound card after my trusty fellow (soundblaster live! VE) died. I just went to the linux side and am wonderingone thing....now...how do i install this..?!
    I'm running RedHat 9 (shrike)
    i popped in the card and to a big let down it has no sound coming from it. im not oo savvy with linux lingo and just started seriously last night. any help much appreciated thanks

2. ninja fetus

mkay nvm i got the sound working. pluuged in the analog audio cable. now i just need to get my 4.1 working, any advice?

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Try using alsamixer. Go to a shell, and simply type alsamixer. It's a very thorough sound buss mixing application (forgive the ugly interface). After tuning with alsamixer, I'm using my SB Live with perfect 5.1 surround.

Edit: Whoops, just noticed you're using RH9; it uses OSS (not ALSA) by default. Unless you purposely chose ALSA, you're using a depreciated sound system. The ability to get [proper] 4.1 surround out of OSS is beyond my abilites. Sorry! I've got surround working before with RH9, but it never did work 100% correctly. My best advice for you is to use a distro that uses a more modern sound architecture. If you like Red Hat, try Fedora Core 2. If you're interested in a heavily multimedia environment, definately go for Mandrake 10. If you want a lightweight distro that still has plenty of built-in multimedia goodness, try Cobind Beta 2 (Based on FC2).

4. ninja fetus

yeah ive been using fedora core2 for a few hours. sounds alot better! 4.1 works. i'll try cobind in a tad. no problem at all, i know that FC2 is based on Rh9 but i didnt know the sound was updated. after reading this i popped in a cd and i just about poopied. not really but you get the idea. thanks!
    DEAR GOD ITS UGLY!!!!! works good though *thumbs up!*

5. ninja fetus

in alsa, how do i change the values?

6. ninja fetus

oh got it, just gotta hit "h"

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I think you're right! RH9 looked very professional, but FC looks very disorganized. It does work pretty well though; I'm running Both Fedora Core 1 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.2 here at work. Both very stable, though not as fast as others distros I've used.