please help with the video card

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by sourav89, Jul 22, 2010.

1. sourav89

sourav89 Geek Trainee

i am using the corsair cx400 watts power supply which gives 30 amps in the 12v rail.
    i thought this was enough for a decent graphics card, at this time i was using the xfx 9500 gt which was working great for my gaming experience, but i wanted to have a better graphics card so i went with the xfx gt240 1gb ddr5. but since then i am having problem with the graphics, i think my psu is good enough to drive better graphics cards but when i try to run any game with my gt 240 everything freezes and there is no response from the computer. the box of the xfx gt 240 tells that it only requires minimum of 350 watts and 18 amps on the 12v rail, i have enough of both but still the problem persists. can this be due to incompatibility of my graphics card with my motherboard cause it is a bit old(i have the asus p5b-mx/wifi-ap). again which graphics card sould suit most with my psu, specially nvidia based card.

my configaration is:-
    intel core 2 duo 4300
    p5b-mx/wifi-ap
    4gb ddr2

please help me

2. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

hi mate,

just wondered if you'd tried restalling the drivers/updating the drivers to the latest versions.

also what temperature is your machine running at??

one last thing are you sure all the power connectors are connected to the gfx card??

hope this helps Dave

3. sourav89

sourav89 Geek Trainee

thanks for helping, i have updated the drivers to the latest versions, but still the problem persists, the temperature is not a factor for me, my cpu temp hardly crosses 55c and the gpu temp is almost 65c, overall temp is normal i think.
    i am pretty sure that it is a hardware problem, but i am unable to judge what is causing it. either my power supply is faulty which i think is not the case or my motherboard or video card is causing this.
    gt 240 is like a green card which consumes less power as compared to its competitors so the card does not have the 6 pin power slot

4. sourav89

sourav89 Geek Trainee

thanks for helping, i have updated the drivers to the latest versions, but still the problem persists, the temperature is not a factor for me, my cpu temp hardly crosses 55c and the gpu temp is almost 65c, overall temp is normal i think.
    i am pretty sure that it is a hardware problem, but i am unable to judge what is causing it. either my power supply is faulty which i think is not the case or my motherboard or video card is causing this.
    gt 240 is like a green card which consumes less power as compared to its competitors so the card does not have the 6 pin power slot