Please HELP with webcam installation...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Saj, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Saj

Saj Geek Trainee

Hi, I have recently bought a webcam but am having difficulty installing it. I insert the installation CD but nothing happens, i have also tried to just use the set up icons but there is still no luck.. Can anyone please help or offer any useful advice?? :(

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

first off, welcome to HWF,

just need to know what operating system you are using and the brand of webcam you are using. If you are using a cheap webcam and your operating system is XP with service pack 2 installed, it should install automatically without the use of the installation disk.

So please provide us the with the following information:
    Operating system (including service packs)
    Model and brand of the webcam

Thanks

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

if the CD doesnt load, try going to "my computer" right clicking your CD drive and going to autorun, it may be disabled on your system

4. Saj

Saj Geek Trainee

Hi, thanks for the reply and welcome..

I am using windows XP, i am not sure about service pack though? How can i find out what this is?

As for the webcam it is a cheap one i thought would be worth a try but it has proven to be more hassle than it is worth! Its labelled as a PC camera and comes up with 'Vimicro night vision camera' on the CD.. I have tried to install it without the CD as you suggested but have had no luck..

I hope that helps

Thanks Saj

5. Saj

Saj Geek Trainee

Thanks for the tip, i tried as you suggested clicking on an 'autoplay' option after right clicking the CD drive but had no luck, nothing happened! Any further ideas??

6. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

go to start -> right-click my computer -> properties -> on the first page when you click properties under "system" it should tell you you windows version and service packs if any.

7. Saj

Saj Geek Trainee

Thanks..

Yes it is service pack 2. Windows XP, version 2002..

8. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

does the computer even detect the camera when you plug it in? Also, have you tried it on another computer?

9. Saj

Saj Geek Trainee

Yes the computer does detect the camera, i do get the icon saying it has detected new hardware but then doesnt get anywhere from there..
    I've not yet tried it on another computer but will do tomorrow hopefully..

10. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

try right clicking the cd icon when you've put the cd in and open it. locate any setup files with the extension .exe see if that works.

11. Saj

Saj Geek Trainee

I have tried all the setup files that come up on the CD but have had no luck.. Not sure whether any have the extension .exe, how would i know this?

12. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

You would know this by un-hiding extensions on files. If you open any folder, then at the top click on tools > folder options..., then click on the "view" tab, then you will see a bunch of options with check marks next to them or radio buttons. One of them says "hide extensions for known file types" and is check marked by default. Uncheck that, and then all your files in that folder will show the full name, with all the extensions intact, like *.exe, *.ini, etc etc. You can also apply this to windows as a whole (as opposed to just that one particular folder) by clicking the "apply to all folders" button.