Pointless Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Goliath666, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

My boss has a eMachines in the office just so that it can be there. For email and internet browing. He has his laptop for work purposes. which kinda amazes me at the power it has for a laptop. But umm anywats now he wants to up grade it to be able to run adobe photoshop easily without getting another computer. So that job got passed to me. He wants to spend around $200. Searching Newegg i cam across these two upgrades. Will they accomplish what he wants done.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820161678
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125156

This is the computer we have in the office is dis ting

http://reviews.cnet.com/eMachines_T3882/4507-3118_7-31341179.html

i already suggested just letting me build a new computer that can handle anything but he said hell no.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

What it needs is more RAM. Bringing that system up to >=512mb RAM will do wonders for its performance, as 256 is barely enough to RUN XP alone, let alone heavy software like Photoshop. As for the RAM you have selected, I would recommend Kingston Value RAM over the generic RAM you've listed.

3. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

4. Anti-Trend

You should plan on getting only one stick of DDR, as according to the specs you've posted, that model only has one RAM slot -- you'll even have to remove the existing RAM to upgrade it.

As for the video card, that PC has integrated Intel video and it certainly doesn't have a PCIE slot. Therefore, you would not be able to add that video card. In reality, you shouldn't be adding many components at all, because OEM PCs have barely-sufficient PSUs for even the hardware they include; adding new hardware to proprietary systems like that can push the overworked PSU over the edge and cause it to fail. If I was you, I'd just replace the existing RAM with either a 512mb or 1gb stick and call it a day. That machine will never, ever be a high-end rig.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you upgrade the video card, something as simply as a GeForce MX4000 will do the job. The only reason to buy a new video card would be to have it not using the system RAM as it's RAM. Given the needs, I can't see any good reason to spend the money for a GeForce 6600GT. A cheap $50 or less video card will do what you need. Photoshop will run the same on a GeForce MX4000 as it does on a 7800GTX 512. The resources PS uses are RAM and CPU power. To a certain extent, a fast hard drive can help, but this is more when loading stuff off the hard drive itself.

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Did you asked your Boss that if he cares about the Battery life because after adding a Graphics Card that laptop will give you less standby time~!

7. Anti-Trend

I'm pretty sure he was talking about a desktop. Besides this, not many laptops allow for a video upgrade in the first place.

8. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

umm what kind of memory goes on that. Unbuffered or Registered or both

9. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

Its got 2 slots , so im gonna get a 1 gig stick, that way i can have 1280MB of Ram. Theoretically it should work but umm you never know

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless the system requires it, and I don't think it does given it's basic configuration, you can go with unbuffered. Registered RAM helps in the data integrity of the RAM's data, but the chipset must support that function to start with. Can you use registered? Sure, you'll just be paying for a feature you won't and can't use.
    Basically, unless the system explicitly calls for registered, you don't need it.

11. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

Thanks Big_B and everyone else too.

12. Goliath666

Goliath666 Geek Trainee

Memory Updated!!

Attached Files: