Portable USB HDDs not working - Windows 7 Professional

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Cristian Does, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Cristian Does

Cristian Does Geek Trainee

I'm having this frustrating issue with one of my desktop computers...
    I can't use any USB portable HDD (hard drive).
    When I plug in the USB cable the hard drives' leds just start blinking, but Windows does not show any message (notification, error, etc) and the HDDs fail to connect.
    I have 2 Seagate 2.5'' USB HDDs (250GB - in cheap but nicely aluminium built chinese enclosure and 640GB - Samsung G2).
    I have tried connecting them on all the USB ports (front and back) of my desktop (motherboard: Asus P5QL-E, CPU: Pentium D 925, RAM: 4x 1GB - 2xKingston HyperX dual channel kits).
    I have tried uninstalling all USB controllers from Device Manager, rebooting and letting windows to re-install them back, with no devices attached to any USB port.

PS:
    1. Both of these HDDs show the same behaviour when connected to my desktop and they work just fine on my laptop (a low spec Fujitsu Siemens, running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1) and on other computers (tested them on Windows XP, Vista and 7).
    2. I can connect and use without any issues all my other USB devices (webcam, mouse, keyboard, midi controllers, etc) to any of my desktop's USB ports. Everything seems to work just fine, except the portable HDDs.

Any idea? Please help!

Thanks in advance.

2. Cristian Does

Cristian Does Geek Trainee

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I really don't know what could cause this strange behavior on my PC.
    Still need help, if anyone can come up with something.

Thanks.