Possible Overheat or CPU Issue

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Jackatron, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jackatron

Jackatron Geek Trainee

Well basically I currently own a HP G56 laptop. It's served me very well for a good 3 and a half years, however lately it has just been stopping at random times. I've also noticed that light on the side, which has an icon of three stacked drives, also goes off at the same point as it crashes, the computer doesn't go off it just stops on the current screen and is froze. I am aware it does generate a lot of heat, but I'm really not sure. If anyone is able to help identify any sort things that could be wrong or any suggestions it would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks Jackatron

2. dwarfer09

dwarfer09 Geek Trainee

the chances are its a service thats causing the crash, or a program. try to find out if its a paticular program thats causing the crash, which programs are open at the time? try keeping the pc running with no programs after a reboot and see if it crashed. if it does its a driver, startup program or service. if it does not crash its most likely a running program that you have run yourself, or most unlikely a cause of pc load. your pc will generate a report of the cause of the crash or the hardware /driver associated.

you can see the reports in event viewer (type eventvwr in start > run)
    In event viewer click Windows Logs > system. Locate to the date and time the pc crashed there will be a red cross icon next to the crash report.

send in details and we'll have a look.

you can help prevent programs crashing by reducing your startup programs, or if you find the program which is causing the crash, by typing msconfig in start > run. click the startup tab

3. Bob Warner

Bob Warner Geek Trainee

I also think that there is problem in some software or program or may be your OS is corrupted. I will suggest you to format your laptop and reinstall the OS. I too had same kind of problem in past and I had reinstalled my OS. You may also appoint a professional PC repairer.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Check the Hard drive for Errors..Sounds like a Bad hard drive.. Run scan disk, Or hard drive re generator..

5. Jackatron

Jackatron Geek Trainee

Thank you to everybody for all of the replies, it turned to be a bit of plastic stuck inside the fan, causing overheat.

6. Michael72

Michael72 Geek Trainee

Run a memtest86+ on it. May be a RAM defect; had this before with similar symptoms...