Power Offs..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ProcalX, Jun 4, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

just had a phone call from my dear old grandfather, i brought an old Hp Pavilion 1.8ghz / 40gb / DVD player / CD-RW / XP Home / Intel Extreme Graphics.. i cleaned it up: formated, reloaded XP Home, updated.. it's completely setup so he doesnt have to do anything.. virus / spyware / defrags and spam..

however.. he's just got broadband, BT 512kbps ... it runs fine on his Intel Celeron 300mhz, but when he runs the internet on the HP i gave him, it will run for a random amount of time, then turn it's self off..

now here's the strange part.. after the computer decides to randomly turn off, his house phone line, will die.. for around 5-15 minutes.. then start to work again...

this only happens when he goes on the internet..

now he's phoned his ISP, they say his line is fine (line checked) so it's not that..

could it possibly be a grounding problem? or if the powersupply was faulty?

(i suspected the power supply to be faulty when i gave it to him, however it ran for 24 hours fine.. running at 100% CPU all the time.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not sure. It wouldn't hurt to try a new PSU. I'd check it out first, especially if it's a microATX power supply, since HP does have plenty of mATX systems.