Printer sharing problem

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by computerzworld, Nov 17, 2009.

1. computerzworld

computerzworld Geek Trainee

Hello,
    I am having HP Deskjet 4200 connected to my desktop. And I am having a laptop with which I want the printer to be shared. Both of my pcs are having windows xp as OS. And I am using PRONET wireless router for accessing internet. I am able to share the drive between these pcs but I am not able to share my printer between these. I have made my printer shared from my desktop. I tried to trace the error in it then it showed me that print spooler service is not running on your pc. Also I checked the service using services.msc but it is running. So what should be the problem that I am not able to share the printer? Please help me. Thanks in advance.

2. valamar

valamar Geek Trainee

You have installed the latest drivers for both?
    also, when connecting try [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314073]. i had to do this to connect to our printer. it also explains how to fix your issue. :)
    good luck

3. alexcarlson

alexcarlson Geek Trainee

Hi,
    Connecting a printer to a computer and sharing the printer from that computer is the most common solution for sharing a printer because of the ease and price. The main drawback of this is that the computer must always be on in order for the printer to work. This solution is the best solution for everyone it is usually the easiest and cheapest solution for sharing your printer between all the computers on your network.

Thanks

4. hdwtom

hdwtom Geek Trainee

Are you receiving any error messages when you try to access the printer from the other machine? If you go to the START menu and select run and then type \\computername (replace computer name with the computer name that is attached to the printer) do you see the printer shared?

If the printer troubleshooter is reporting that you don't have the print spooler service running you may also want to stop and restart the service.

5. kevin_techno

kevin_techno Geek Trainee

To share a printer on a wireless router try this solution as listed below:
    • Connect your printer to one of your network's computers.
    • Make sure the printer's drivers are up-to-date. If they're old, you can download new drivers from the printer manufacturer's website.
    • Launch the Control Panel on the main computer. The easiest way of doing this is by opening the Start Menu and clicking on its shortcut.
    • Open the "Printers" or "Printers and Other Hardware" window.
    • Right-click the printer you want to share over the network and select "Sharing..." from the drop-down menu that appears.
    • Switch to the "Sharing" tab and click on the button labeled "Change sharing options." Then, check the box next to the "Share this printer" option.
    • Create a network name for the printer, and enter it into the appropriate field. Make the name something you'll remember so you know which printer to access.
    • Click "OK" to save the changes and make the printer available over the wireless network.
    Good Luck

Kevin