Printer Spooler Issues

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by CoNfUsEd, Jun 8, 2006.

1. CoNfUsEd

CoNfUsEd Geek Trainee

Recently I started having problems with my printer spooler service because I was being stupid and deleted my old Lexmark printer. Lucky for me that just so happened to be one of the dependencies of the service. So I researched and researched and finally I just deleted it using Command Prompt.

I planned on recreating it but that is harder than I thought. Whenever I put in all of the information that it tells me to, I get: "The syntax of the command is incorrect".

This is what I tried to enter when the Command Prompt already says;

C:\Documents and Settings\ValuedCustomer>I enter this: sc create [Spooler] [binPath= C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe]

type=<own> start=<demand> error=<normal>

binPath=<C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe> group=<SpoolerGroup>

tag=<no> depend=<RpcSs> obj=<LocalSystem> DisplayName=<Print Spooler>

password=<password>

and for some reason I keep getting the same response: "The syntax of the command is incorrect". I have also tried putting spaces in between the = signs and the greater than marks but nothing seems to work. I give up.

So if anyone knows how to do it PLEASE HELP ME!!

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Why not just go to that folder straight and run spoolsv.exe file by clicking on it?

Edit: I searched on the net and come out with some solutions;

Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP have a reported problems with printing where you get the message upon boot or when trying to print:
    Spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

You will find that the Spooler service has stopped. Restarting it does not clear the problem. I strongly suggest delete all files in the SYSTEM32\SPOOL\PRINTERS folder. In many cases, this resolves the problem.

Microsoft reports in [link=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q257859/]Q257859[/link] that the installation of BitWare for Windows can cause the problem in W2K and XP. If you have the problem and are a BitWare user, you could uninstall it to see if it is the basis of your problems.

[link=http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows2000/AdminTips/TroubleShooting/Spoolsv.exegenerateserrors.html]Source[/link]

3. CoNfUsEd

CoNfUsEd Geek Trainee

i completely deleted the spooler service.
    it is gone without a trace on my computer,
    if you have any info on how to reinstall a service
    please tell me ASAP.

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

First restart your computer and check that folder again to see if its there or not, otherwise go [link=http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/winxp-kb896423.html]Here[/link].

5. CoNfUsEd

CoNfUsEd Geek Trainee

ok I downloaded that and restarted my computer now what??
    P.S. sorry to ask so many questions but I have never dealt with computer services before.