Problem with My pc

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by cjd0013, Dec 1, 2007.

1. cjd0013

cjd0013 Geek Trainee

hi guyz im wondering how the computer boots very2x long like 4 minutes its not like this before..this happened when i formatted my pc a while ago..

i formatted my hard drive like 2 times now because its keep on happening .. and this problem persists now... >.<

i can see the windows xp booting or loading, afterwards it goes black... and thats the time it takes 4mins or longer...but there's no problem regading the OS its clean.

its not like when i boot from the past after the xp loading screen it automatically goes to the OS..

any tip guyz.,,
    and i tried to remove and insert the Ram maybe thats the problem..but still it goes 4mins after the windows xp loading screen..:x:

do i need to buy a new MOBO?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First of all, What is the band and model of this computer? What are your specks?
    Need a little bit more info, before we can answer. Do you have ANY cleaning software? What AntiVirus are you using? There are allot of tweaks to speed up your pc...

3. cjd0013

cjd0013 Geek Trainee

processor: pentium 4 3.00ghz 768ram
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
    MOBO: ECS 661GX-M2 5.X
    vcard: Radeon 9550 256mb
    antivirus : avast pro ed
    no its not like speeding up the pc... because ive done a format that should do the trick but there is a part after the windows xp loading screen the monitor goes black then ill wait for 4 minutes ..but theres no problem regarding the os because its completely fresh now.,,

ill add a little bit..

in the past when my pc was not formatted after the xp loading screen the monitor goes black then it takes about 2 sec to boot directly to the os ...but now after the loading screen it goes black then 4mins,,
    look at the big difference ..i think the problem is the hardware???

4. OnStock

OnStock Geek Trainee

I suggest you disabling Prefetch.

You can do it by System Mechanic or follow given instructions provided in this link:

Disabling Prefetch

post a feedback with the results.

5. Tech

Tech Padawan

If you're seeing the XP loading screen and having this problem after this then its unlikely to be a hardware problem and more of a services/driver problem. FIrst you need to look for clues as to the problem so I suggest that after POST you press the F8 button to get to advanced boot options. From there select "Enable boot logging"and then allow the machine to boot.

When you're into the system go to your C: drive and look for a file called NTbtlog.txt. This is obviously your boot log. Look through this file for anything like an error message which should give you an idea of where to boot.

6. cjd0013

cjd0013 Geek Trainee

hi guyz...

first ill go with onstock...
    i tried disabling the prefetch but nothing happened.. still the same. xD

Tech 1709

i tried to go in the advanced boot options then enabled the boot logging..
    ill attach the ntbtlog..and i will post a scrnshot of my bios maybe it can help..
    http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/197/image314lb0.jpg
    http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7112/image313it6.jpg

this scrnshot below shows every time when i switch off my avr..this took place after i reformat my pc with the 4mins booting time.. >.<
    http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9672/image315xm4.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Tech

Tech Padawan

hmm.......I'm not 100% sure that this will do the trick but you could give the System File Checker a go. This will check and replace if necessary any critical files.

Go to the start menu and to Run. In that box type SFC /scannow. You'll need your installation CD handy as any damaged files will be replaced from there.

Have you changed anything on your system recently?

8. cjd0013

cjd0013 Geek Trainee

>.< why is that when i type the "SFC /scannow" in run dialog box it appears shortly like half a second then it closes right away >.<....
    i havent changed anything in my system..

but the thing thats bugging me is why is this happening if my computer is been reformatted twice now....and when i formatted my pc i set it in FULL NTFS...will formatting the drive deletes files PERMANENTLY?? tnx bTw ...

9. Tech

Tech Padawan

When you run SFC /scannow you should see a flash of command console and a progress bar shortly after as the program scans your system. You'll probably be prompted for your installation CD too.

How are you formatting your drive? Reformatting will "erase" files as far as normal users are concerned but this data is still recoverable until its overwritten by the system. The data remains on your HDD its just invisible to the OS. From day to day you should use a file shredder for sensitive documents.

As to your main problem try going back to the advanced startup menu at boot. Boot into safe mode. If you don't experience the same problem its likely you have a driver problem.
    You should also try booting into Last Known Good Configuration.

10. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Let me just start off by saying that its odd to see the "CMOS BATTERY LOW", on the bottom of your screenshot... although i don't believe its the problem... but hey replacing it wouldnt harm.

Now as to what is causing the problem... if you have any other partitions in that drive you should delete them before installing XP. Could this be a MBR (Master Boot Record) problem causing the delay?

11. cjd0013

cjd0013 Geek Trainee

:x: just last night when playing a game. i heard beeps coming from the motherboard and suddenly the mouse ran out of control and i cannot move it but the keyboard is fine... after that i restarted my pc and it ddnt boot or i cant go to windows xp the monitor is just saying "POWER SAVING ENABLED". and now when i woke up in the morning it suddenly started to boot again...

maybe theres something really2x wrong with my motherboard or my powersupply :(... ill try replacing it but i dont know what powersuppy or MOBO is compatible with my processor or my v card :(.....

768 mb ddr ram
    3.00ghz intel HT
    radeon 9550 256mb

i need some advice on bying a MOBO and a power supply >.<

still i cannot run>SFC /scannow my system with my cd inserted or not
    when i format my HD i always delete all the partitions and stick it to 1.. whats a MBR?

12. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

yeah this sounds like the battery problem that i told you about... or it could just be your power settings under properties.

MBR stands for Master Boot Record. The MBR is a place on your hard drive where information is stored regarding how many partitions you have and other information. When you start your computer up, the BIOS will look for instructions within the MBR on how to boot up your operating system.
    This is just a simple description of it. Go here to learn more:

Master Boot Record (MBR)

Its hard to pinpoint a solution for your problem. Yes, a power supply might not have enough wattage to support your system and you should get a new one if this is so. I recommend a 450W or above for your system... considering the information that youve written above regarding your hardware.
    BUT, if you do have enough wattage from your power supply and buying a new one will not solve anything... make sure you buy a motherboard that has an AGP slot in it since your Graphics Card (Radeon 9550) uses an AGP connection. AGP's are obsolete in newer motherboards since they use PCI Express... The motherboard must also have the CPU socket for your Processor. (older ones are obviously cheaper too :) )

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

personally i use Linux, however, i think your problem is NOT related to to mobo or PSU

your right, it's not the problem, but replacing it will prevent future problems[ot]i think the product code for the battery is: CR2032[/ot]
    i think the problem could be related to one of your SATA drives, try disconnecting them one at a time and try booting and see if the error remains unless you have a RAID array running

BTW: if you do have a RAID array, which 1 ?(RAID0, RAID1 etc. etc.)

BTW: personally i've never used RAID

Edit:
    PCWizard provides you with all the info you need

Edit: Source

14. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Yes, this could well be problem as well.

Something else struck me though today regarding your problem. What do the settings in your BOOT.INI file look like?
    Click Start > Run. Type in msconfig. Look for the BOOT.INI tab. OR, just go to your C: drive (system drive) and in your Folder Options properties, go to view and select "Show hidden files and folders" and UNCHECK "hide protected operating system files..."). You should see your BOOT.INI file there. Open it and look at your settings.

copy your settings here there may be a problem with it. oh, and for god sakes DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING IN THE BOOT.INI FILE. :chk:

15. cjd0013

cjd0013 Geek Trainee

wew i think i know now whats causing the problem but its only my guess.. because just last night when i powered my cpu (it always says batt low :x: ) then i go to bios then i ddnt overclocked it just the default settings.. and i boot it up suddenly it boots faster like from the past.. then i tried to restart it again to see if thats the problem but unfortunately it when back again to 4mins booting time >.<.........but for now i decreased the overclocking settings and it turned out to be stable now..no more uncontrollable mouse...BUT the boot is not yet fixed still 4 mins >.<

check my attachments i attached it last time with the screenshots..
    btw i changed my cmos battery with my old one here.. but the problem still persists...

which one do i disconnect first the cd rom? i tried to insert back and forth the ram but it still persists ... xD tnx guyz for your advices

16. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

so your saying that you once had it overclocked? this is wierd... after you set it to default did yo save? well im sure you did...

lol that attachment isnt the boot.ini! its something else.

Ill try to look for a solution. maybe it is the sata problem

17. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:doh: 1 SATA device is a CD / DVD, try running
    Code:
    chkdsk /f
    from a command prompt on your SATA HDD or run Scandisk on that SATA HDD

18. cjd0013

cjd0013 Geek Trainee

yah from the past only by 152 now 145 because if i clock it to 152 the freezing issue will come >.<..

heres the boot ini

TNX guyz...!

19. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Your boot.ini seems to be fine.

I really can't tell you if its a SATA problem since i don't use SATA and am not very knowledgable when it comes to it :x: sorry man

20. cjd0013

cjd0013 Geek Trainee

tnx btw man.. :p

im planning to buy a motherboard :p i dont know if ill buy a PCI-e one or a AGP mobo.. because my v card is new i bought it 2 months ago.. and if i buy a pci-e one that card will be useless .. :p