Problem with Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by nukeemaway, Feb 4, 2006.

1. nukeemaway

nukeemaway Geek Trainee

I'm not sure when it started, but I noticed the problem after installing a new hard drive. When I start my computer, no audio comes out of my speakers. The only thing that gets audio back, is going into device manager, disabling Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio, turning off my speakers, enabling Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio, and then turning on my speakers (if I don't turn the speakers off and then on it doesn't work). Is it possible that the driver is not loading when the computer starts (i.e. the registry file may have gotten deleted during a virus or spyware scan), and if so, would reinstalling the driver solve the problem, or is it something worse? If I can solve the problem by reinstalling, would I find the driver on the Windows XP disk that came with my computer (which I'm not sure I still have), or could I uninstall the driver and let Windows XP reinstall the driver on its own? If it helps to diagnose the problem, I have a VPR Matrix 1600. Thank you for your time.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

First i'd uninstall your sound card through device manager, reboot, and then continue to reinstall your sound card drivers. It's possible your XP CD will have basic drivers on it, but it's recommended to find the genuine drivers for your
    Soundmax Integrated audio.

3. nukeemaway

nukeemaway Geek Trainee

I tried contacting soundmax, but they didn't reply and my computer's manufacturer doesn't have the driver for it. I'm almost positive that my computer did not come with a driver cd, so is it safe to uninstall and let windows try to find it, or am I asking for trouble?

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

What sound chipset do you have?

5. nukeemaway

nukeemaway Geek Trainee

The only problem would be with the driver for Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio, because that's the only thing that I have to disable and enable to get audio.

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Your computer's make and model please?

7. nukeemaway

nukeemaway Geek Trainee

VPR Matrix 1600

8. megamaced

hmm, something is not right here!

Your motherboard is an Intel D845BGL and it uses an AC'97 codec, not a SoundMax....

Go into Control Panel > Add/remove programs > uninstall your sound card drivers.

If your sound card software/drivers don't appear in the add/remove applet, go into Device Manager > Navagate to your sound card > Right click > Uninstall

Restart your computer if asked.

Windows might try to reinstall the drivers upon reboot, you must cancel this!

Download and install the file below:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...All&OSFullName=All Operating Systems&lang=eng

And hey presto, it should work :)

9. nukeemaway

nukeemaway Geek Trainee

I've had the computer for over 5 years with the Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio without a problem, so that is the card that was integrated into my motherboard.

10. megamaced

I'm assuming the sound card is integrated into the motherboard, and not a PCI device.

If this is the case, you should try out my previous suggestion. If it doesn't work, then you can reinstall the original drivers.

11. nukeemaway

nukeemaway Geek Trainee

I decided to roll back the driver and you're right, it's an AC'97, so I guess I had an updated version of the driver. However, when I ran windows update on microsoft.com, it didn't show as a hardware update, so I system restored. So while I'd love to follow your instructions, I'd rather have the updated driver, so if you could find it, that would be great. It's version 5.12.1.3034.

12. megamaced

Your motherboard is discontinued and Intel are no longer producing drivers for your soundcard. Therefore the driver which I provided you is the latest version available. NOW PLEASE CLICK THE DAMN LINK!! :)

-----> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...All&OSFullName=All Operating Systems&lang=eng <-----

Don't visit Windows update, don't roll back your driver, and don't do a system restore. All you need to do is uninstall your current drivers from add/remove programs, then CLICK THE LINK and download the MOST RECENT DRIVER, and then install it.

I'm sorry if i'm being a little rude, but this could have been solved several posts ago if you just followed my instructions :x:

13. nukeemaway

nukeemaway Geek Trainee

Hey thanks man. I didn't uninstall, I just downloaded it and upgraded the version and it worked. Sorry that I was being such a pain, but I'm sure you understand; I love my computer and just wanted to make sure nothing would get screwed up. By the way, the install was for SoundMAX, not AC'97, so I assume that SoundMAX is the upgraded version of AC'97. Anyway, again, thanks for your help.

14. megamaced

I'm glad your computer's sound card is now functioning correctly. :)

Your computer may well have a SoundMAX sound card in it, but the sound card is using an AC'97 codec. That means SoundMAX has taken the AC'97 chip, and built it's own features around it. SoundMAX basically repackaged the AC'97