Problem with WLAN module

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Hristina, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Hristina

Hristina Geek Trainee

Hello!
    I just re-installed my laptop, but now there is new problem...
    My laptop is Acer Extensa 5635G. It has Intel WLAN module. After the re-install this module stopped working. I installed driver for it. I even contacted Acer Customer Support, where they told me to download the same driver.
    On my keyboard, there is a key, which turns on and off the wi-fi. But now when I press it, nothing happens. I have a driver for it as I said, but I feel I am missing something.
    Also, is there a way to "import" all my previous drivers to the new system. I have the previous system on a disk.
    Would be thankful if someone could help me [​IMG]

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

You may need to check inside the BIOS to see if the wireless is enabled on the laptop. Also, on some laptops you can change what the wireless button turns on, either just the WAN, Bluetooth, or both. To get into the BIOS, you need to power on the laptop and you will either need to hit the f2, f12, or del key. When the laptop first turns on you should see a message saying hit a certain key to enter BIOS or to enter setup. The specific key to hit can vary, it depends on the maker of the BIOS or the maker of the device, but it is usually one of the above keys. Once inside the BIOS, look for WAN settings or sometimes it can be listed under integrated peripherals. Make sure that it is set to enabled. If it is not, change it, then be sure to save and exit the bios. If you do not tell it to save, it will not keep the changes you made. Then boot the laptop and see if the wireless is up. On most laptops, there is a light on the keyboard area to show that wireless is turned on. Make sure this lights up when you press the key on the keyboard to activate wireless. Also on some laptops, if the wireless toggle is on a key shared by something else, like on one of the F keys, you need to hit a function button first and then hit the key to enable it.

Something else you can check too is to right click the my network places icon, and choose properties. It will show you the different network connectors the machine has, including the LAN connection and hopefully wireless. If the wireless one shows up but has a red x on it, right click it and choose enable to enable the device that way.

3. Hristina

Hristina Geek Trainee

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
    I tried what you told me, but in BIOS i couldn't find any option for wireless or WAN or WLAN.... Only thing I found, that may have relation is "Enable Network Boot" ?
    And yes there is a light next to my key, but it doesn't light up when I press the key. And this wireless key is a special. It is next to "Turn on the computer" key.

My wireless card is shown in My network places, but that's all. It don't want to connect.

4. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

If you right click the my computer icon on the desktop, choose the manage option. In the window that opens, click on device manager. This shows all the hardware installed in the laptop. Do you see anything in it that has a red x through it or maybe an ! in a yellow triangle? This means that device is not working properly or disabled. If it has an x, right click on it and choose enable on it. Usually if the item has an ! on it, that means it is not working properly or the driver is incorrect for it. Can you see your wireless card listed under network controllers or maybe under a wireless option? If so, does it show that it is having a problem?

5. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Also, when you saw the wireless card in the network properties, did it say it was disabled or disconnected? Try right clicking on it in that window and choose properties. It will open a new window. The first tab is the general tab. On the general tab, you should see a box that says "this connection uses the following items", and then below it lists several things (such as client for microsoft networks). Make sure you can see one called Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). If you see it, select it, then click the properties button. On the window that opens, on the general tab, make sure that obtain an ip address automatically is selected. Also make sure that Obtain DNS server address automatically is selected. This allows your router to automatically give the laptop an IP address instead of you having to manually type one in. This is the way most people use their computers at home.

6. Hristina

Hristina Geek Trainee

Hi, Everything you said is correct. I have the device listed in Device Manager, and it is working properly. I have also set to "Obtain IP automatically".
    Today, while I was sitting I just wrote in google "Acer wi-fi button". I don't know how it came to my mind, but all the results were pointing out a program - Launch Manager. Then I started to remember that before the re-install I had this program! So I downloaded it, and it partly fixed my problem. This program shows a small window with an image of sattelite every time i start the wi-fi. And an image of satellite with red X every time i stop the wi-fi. So now I can see when my wi-fi is started on. However, the light next to the key, does not light up when the wi-fi is started. Maybe this is a hardware thing.
    Anyway, thanks for all your help and I am sorry for my broken English. :)

7. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

When you see the satellite come up and start the wi-fi, are you able to get onto a wireless network at that point, even though the light doesnt turn on? If its still not working (no internet connection), are there any options in the Launch manager that you can configure? I have never worked on an Acer laptop before so I do not know the specifics of the software tool. However, on a Dell laptop, the configuration utility has an option to enable radio. If that is not enabled in the dell wireless manager, the wireless will not turn on even when you hit the button. See if there is a similar setting in the Acer launch manager software. Also, I saw on the acer website a tool that is supposed to identify the hardware in an Acer computer. Did you run this tool already to see which wireless card you had? I noticed on their website that your laptop model could have one of several different cards. The reason I mention it is I have noticed that the wireless will not come on in a Dell laptop when you press the button unless the correct driver is installed. This may be the case with an Acer laptop as well so I just wanted to rule that out as a source of the problem as well :)

8. Hristina

Hristina Geek Trainee

Thanks for all your efforts! :)
    When I installed Launch Manager, I was able to see when my wi-fi is turned on, but I could not connect to my router.
    However, I was using Automatic Updates, and there was an update which fixed my problem. When I restarted the laptop (because of the installed update), the light of the wi-fi was on and I was able to connect to my router :)
    So, thanks again. This is solved. And for future I will know what to do :)