Pst File Problem

Discussion in 'General Software' started by aryehsteiner, Jul 20, 2015.

1. aryehsteiner

aryehsteiner Geek Trainee

I opened a .pst file using explorer and "open with outlook". The file size then changed from 390mb to 64kb. When I tried to import the file to outlook, I received a message indicating it was not a .pst file. I read that opening a .pst file with explorer can corrupt the file. How can I get the data (emails, contact, etc) back.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

You have backup of course? If not, then try previous versions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/previous-versions-files-faq#1TC=windows-7

and hope that contains previous version of that file. You can also try file recovery software (very unlike to help).

3. louisbaker

louisbaker Geek Trainee

You may apply https://www.repairtoolbox.com/how-to-repair-outlook.html Outlook Repair Toolbox if your corruption is complicated or severe, as variant guide below might be the same effective as first way...

First close all open Outlook windows.
    2. Then write down the name of the current Outlook data file. (The default name is: “Outlook.pst”)
    3. Rename the current Outlook Data file (e.g. “Outlook.pst”) to any name you want (e.g. “OutlookEmpty.pst”).
    4. Without closing this window, open a new Windows Explorer to find and copy here (at the Outlook Data files folder) the Outlook backup file from your backup location.
    5. Now inside Outlook data files location, you should have two Outlook Data files named:
    a. Outlook.pst (your Outlook backup file) &
    b. OutlookEmpty.pst
    6. Rename – if needed – the Outlook backup data file to the name you wrote down previously.
    Now open your Outlook application and you should have successfully restored your Outlook data.

4. Betty Johnson

Betty Johnson Geek Trainee

SCANPST.exe(Inbox Repair Tool) is best option to repair corrupt Outlook PST file...

5. markmohann

markmohann Geek Trainee

Have a look here: http://www.free.pstrepairoutlook.com/. It is an effective third party Outlook recovery software. You van use it to fix PST error issues. By using this utility, you can easily repair corrupt PST file and recover all inaccessible or lost Outlook mailbox items within seconds.

6. AdamBoss

AdamBoss Geek Trainee

Recover and repair Microsoft Outlook PST files with competent and user-amiable Outlook PST Recovery software. When repaired, you can restore all the contents to an importable and fresh PST file. It also provides folder recovery.The software comes with new feel and look in its interface. Even the novice users can use this software. It features self-explanatory steps and you can control most of its tasks with one click.